Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SWM SWM is offline

Default height of footers for odd/even pages

This is a puzzler...I'm using odd and even pages (no different first page)
for a manual. The height of the footers is uneven - when you print preview or
print, the even page footer is aligned higher above the bottom of the page
than the odd page footer. Trying to position either the odd or even footer
(by opening the footer and dragging the ruler marks) results in its opposite
also being reduced or enlarged the same amount. Why can't I position the odd
and even page footers separately? I haven't had this happen previously.

I have a page # and text in the footers. I inserted the page #s from the
header/footer toolbar. I checked the para. numbering for the text and page #s
- there's no additional space above.

The headers seem fine.
Has anyone come across this anomoly?
Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Verify that the settings for Spacing Before/After (in Format |
Paragraph, Indents and Spacing tab) is identical in both footers.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SWM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the text in the odd and even footers is the same, then you probably
copied and pasted it from one footer to the other. Maddeningly, no matter
how carefully you copy without the paragraph mark and paste over the
existing paragraph mark, Word will still insert an extra empty paragraph,
which you will need to delete. Needless to say, this is easier to do with
nonprinting characters displayed.

"SWM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SWM SWM is offline

Oh for gosh sake's - yes, that was it. I did in fact copy and paste text from
the odd footer to the even. Brilliant, Suzanne! And thanks for your help.
Normally I have non-print character display turned on, but for my final
check, it was off so I suppose I didn't notice the extra para. return.
SWM

"SWM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is one of those infuriating examples of Word presumably trying to be
helpful. I do warn about it in my article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm, I believe, but I'm so
used to it by now that I don't always think of it as the solution to someone
else's problem. Luckily in your case I did.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the text in the odd and even footers is the same, then you probably
copied and pasted it from one footer to the other. Maddeningly, no

matter
how carefully you copy without the paragraph mark and paste over the
existing paragraph mark, Word will still insert an extra empty

paragraph,
which you will need to delete. Needless to say, this is easier to do

with
nonprinting characters displayed.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"SWM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, you did mention "para," but I wasn't sure which aspects of
paragraph formatting you looked at.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted, with Suzanne's assistance.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP