Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Default WORD 2007 getting slower

I have Word 2007 and Vista Business. It was never fast but it's getting
slower. It takes over 8 seconds to open a document and if I have two
documents it takes over 8 seconds to switch between them.

I have tried most of the things listed in the forums, although I can't get
rid of the Acrobat add-in. It keeps re-appearing.

Usually when I'm working I have a small Excel file, Outlook and Internet
EXplorer open at the same time. This was never a problem with Word 2003 and
XP.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 so memory should not be problem.

Any help will be much appreciated. I'm about to ditch the lot and go back to
a quill pen.

Thanks

Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Only Acrobat from version 8 is compatible with Word 2007 and frankly that
shouldn't slow down the document opening (the Word opening maybe), but if
you want to remove it and with it remove the power of the program that you
have paid for to format Word documents, you must re-run Acrobat installer
and uninstall the add-in. See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm
My guess is that you either have some corruption in the normal.template.
Start Word in its safe mode (hold the CTRL key whilst starting and
positively acknowledge the ensuing prompt). Does it open docs faster now? If
so rename normal.dotm to normal.dotm.old and try again. See also
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

Or you have an over enthusiastic virus checker. Checking of Word/Office
documents can usually be deselected in the AV program e.g. in Norton AV by
turning off its Office Plug-in.

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Other AV apps eg the popular free edition of Grisoft's AVG antivirus
software, require similar treatment.
In this instance:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll"