Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
megadari megadari is offline

Default Formatting Table Cell margins

I am trying to do an import from Access 97 into Word 97 for a Mail
Merge for printing labels. The problem is that the data comes in to
the Main Document in the form of labels but the text is flush left and
top in each cell. They need to be centered horizontally and
vertically in the cell with left justification.

How do I format the margins on the Cell? (rather just the table).

Pat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Labels are merely a table with fixed cell sizes. Select the table then Table
Properties and format the cells as you require them. Horizntally centred

text is a simple text formatting parameter (CTRL+E). Save the edited merge
document for re-use.

megadari wrote:
I am trying to do an import from Access 97 into Word 97 for a Mail
Merge for printing labels. The problem is that the data comes in to
the Main Document in the form of labels but the text is flush left and
top in each cell. They need to be centered horizontally and
vertically in the cell with left justification.

How do I format the margins on the Cell? (rather just the table).

Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

megadari wrote:
I am trying to do an import from Access 97 into Word 97 for a Mail
Merge for printing labels. *The problem is that the data comes in to
the Main Document in the form of labels but the text is flush left and
top in each cell. *They need to be centered horizontally and
vertically in the cell with left justification.

How do I format the margins on the Cell? (rather just the table).

Pat- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your response. There is no "properties" on the Tools
Menu on my Word 97. I'm afraid I'm pretty green on Word.

Pat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the layout from Word 97 is the same as that in later versions (it has
been a while since I used 97) then Table Properties will be on the Table
menu when the Table is selected (Table Select Table).

megadari wrote:
I am trying to do an import from Access 97 into Word 97 for a Mail
Merge for printing labels. The problem is that the data comes in to
the Main Document in the form of labels but the text is flush left
and top in each cell. They need to be centered horizontally and
vertically in the cell with left justification.

How do I format the margins on the Cell? (rather just the table).

Pat- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your response. There is no "properties" on the Tools
Menu on my Word 97. I'm afraid I'm pretty green on Word.

Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Table Properties was introduced in Word 2000. In Word 97, you'll have to
create the left and right cell margins with the "distance between columns"
(on the Columns tab of Table | Cell Height and Width), and there's no
provision at all for cell padding top and bottom, nor is it possible to
center cells vertically.

megadari wrote:
I am trying to do an import from Access 97 into Word 97 for a Mail
Merge for printing labels. The problem is that the data comes in to
the Main Document in the form of labels but the text is flush left
and top in each cell. They need to be centered horizontally and
vertically in the cell with left justification.

How do I format the margins on the Cell? (rather just the table).

Pat- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your response. There is no "properties" on the Tools
Menu on my Word 97. I'm afraid I'm pretty green on Word.

Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

On May 11, 7:11*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Table Properties was introduced in Word 2000. In Word 97, you'll have to
create the left and right cell margins with the "distance between columns"
(on the Columns tab of Table | Cell Height and Width), and there's no
provision at all for cell padding top and bottom, nor is it possible to
center cells vertically.

Thank you for the data.

Pat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I realize, however, that I made a mistake in this: the Vertical Alignment
command was in fact introduced in Word 97, so you should be able to center
cells vertically. I recall now that that was one of the main reasons I was
eager to upgrade to Word 97. Then Word 2000 made a hash of the cell
alignment issue, which generated the article at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...nmentProbs.htm.