Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mark Gordon

Default Pasting Text Into Form Field In Table Changes Alignement

I have a problem with a label template. This is a simplified example.

I have a table with two rows and two columns. The columns are page width. I
set each cell to center horizontally and vertically. I insert a text form
field into each cell and lock the form.

In notepad I create a 3 line address and copy it to the clipboard.

When I paste this "address" into each field in my form the bottom left cell
doesn't hold onto it's formatting. The first 2 lines become left justified.
If I have press delete in the cell first the entire field maintains its
centering (but I have to delete the extra spaces).

In fact, If I create a 5 row, single column table and repeat the above,
every cell but the first one loses its centering.

I am at a lost.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWFyayBHb3Jkb24=?=,

Right, I can duplicate the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know of any simple
solution, short of using a macro to re-apply the formatting.

I have a problem with a label template. This is a simplified example.

I have a table with two rows and two columns. The columns are page width. I
set each cell to center horizontally and vertically. I insert a text form
field into each cell and lock the form.

In notepad I create a 3 line address and copy it to the clipboard.

When I paste this "address" into each field in my form the bottom left cell
doesn't hold onto it's formatting. The first 2 lines become left justified.
If I have press delete in the cell first the entire field maintains its
centering (but I have to delete the extra spaces).

In fact, If I create a 5 row, single column table and repeat the above,
every cell but the first one loses its centering.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mark Gordon

Actually there is a macro re-formatting the table. As I said - this was the
simplified example. The problem is with the sending address on a mailing
label template and all of the user's want to be able to choose where on the
label (left justified w/offset, centered) and with what font the address
appear.

There is startup form that allows them to enter this information (it stores
their defaults in the user's register so that they can just click enter
through the screen).

The macro then applied their preferences by unlocking the document,
selecting all of the document, applying the paragraph and font settings and
relocking the document.

I have figured out a way around this but it was not completely intuitive.

It appears the problem stems from the fact that a table has a default style.
When the user pastes into the cell (why only in those cells is a good
question for microsfofts programmer) the formatting returns to the default of
the table style (kinda like pressing ctl-space).

My work around was to creat a custom style for the table that the form
fields are in. Then when I apply the user's settings I modify the tables
style instead of simply applying manual formatting.

(I had to delete the form fields before applying the custom style and
re-insert them so that I guess they would be "bound" to this style - w/o
doing this when I changed the tables style some -not all- of the field's
fonts would become 'arial unicode ms' - I couldn't even change them manually!)

6 hours later the page is working for my users - somebody please put word
out of its misery by shooting it!