Fairlane

Default You cannot quit Microsoft Word because a dialog is active

Hi,
I get this message when a document hasn't been previously saved and Word
won't close. I want word to close regardless if the document is closed or
not. Any ideas?

I am a librarian and our public computers use time management software.
Unfortunately, a few kids have found a way to bypass the software by loading
a blank Word document, opening a Save As dialog, and then hitting
Cntrl+Alt+Del and logging off. Windows attempts to close all open programs
but when it gets to the open document the error pops up, word stays open and
everything else, including the time management software, closes. Thus, all
one has to do is hit the OK button, cancel the Save As dialog and they are
left with an open desktop - with no time management software running. Any
ideas on how to keep Word from doing this?

Phil
Word Heretic

G'day "Fairlane" ,

Difficult.

Problem 1

Your requested solution will affect every attempt to Save As on those
machines. This ideally would also affect the Save when no filename has
been given to avoid the same problem.

Solution A

VBA Word 2000+???

* Intercept all saves
* If there is no filename (eg save as or new doc), force a std
filename based on date and time in a set path.

You would create a shortcut to this folder on your desktops and allow
people to move & rename using the OS, as these operations will cancel
on the reboot.

Numerous MVPs can help with this specific task. If required, post a
new message in a VBA group with this requirement.

This solution also overcomes the students using save as to peruse
where they shouldn't, however there are other dialogs that can also be
hijacked for this purpose, insert file | object comes to mind
immediately.

Problem 2

There are more than likely other dialogs that can't be canceled, so I
am not certain that the above solution will be a cure-all.

Solution B

Quite frankly, Word needs a lockdown mode :-) As a cheap commercial
project I would be delighted to provide you a global template that
locks down the interface. You personally would have access to the
programs directory to move it out temporarily should you require full
functionality on a workstation.

Whilst locked, it would only allow those Word functions that you
specify in your request. The others will simply be MIA.

You would then have to start specifying replacement functionality, for
example, the save problem.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Fairlane reckoned: