Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Andy Andy is offline

Default sorting hybrid text/numbers/dashes

Hello

I have a table with a column where the format is Chapter-Page#letter, e.g.
23-142a, 24-11b

I've been trying to get it to sort so it sorts Chapter number, then page
number, then a,b,c etc. No matter what I try, it will not work properly. It
won't sort the first number correctly.

What's the proper set up for this sort?
Thanks
Andrew
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Helmut Weber Helmut Weber is offline

Hi Andy,

so many ways...

I have a table with a column where the format
is Chapter-Page#letter, e.g.
23-142a, 24-11b

One method would be to add leading zeros before sorting
and then sorting as text,
then remove the leading zeros again.

For that method you'd have to find out,
how many digits the largest number before the dash has
and the same for the number following the dash.
Or you just know, three digits is sufficient.

23-142a - 023-142a
24-11b - 024-011b
1-333f - 001-333f
333-1x - 333-001x

I think, one could use excel as well,
to avoid programming, but that's no fun.

Do you need details?

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Sorting numbers as words in an alphabetical index Andy Microsoft Word Help 1 November 27th 06 01:40 PM
Sorting by numbers Duncan Tables 1 May 2nd 06 07:07 AM
sorting text in a table Madame D Tables 1 November 7th 05 05:49 PM
Hyphen, n-dashes, m-dashes Raymond O'Neill New Users 4 May 4th 05 10:41 PM
Sorting numbers--treating as text faberk Tables 3 December 22nd 04 04:07 PM