cjobes

Default Starting Word from cmd

Hi all,

I need to start Word from cmd supplying a merge template and and imput file.
Is it possible to submit those parameters so Word will start and
automatically perform the merge without user intervention?

Thanks,
Claus

Peter Jamieson

Word understands a number of command line options, but not "an input file".
So you will need to write some Word VBA that grabs the command line from
Windows (e.g. using a win32 routine) and gets the file pathname and anything
else you need, and proceed from there.

Peter Jamieson.

"cjobes" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need to start Word from cmd supplying a merge template and and imput
file.
Is it possible to submit those parameters so Word will start and
automatically perform the merge without user intervention?

Thanks,
Claus

Peter Jamieson

Are you talking about a macro?

Yes, but.

Where do I find information about the command
line options?

For the options Word 2003 recognises, look up "Customizing how Word starts"
in Word Help. "Starting Word" may work in earlier versions. You will
probably need to use /ttemplatename. Then you will need to avoid using
anything else Word recognises. You cannot use the VBA Command() function to
get the command line because it doesn't work in Office programs, so you have
to use Win32. You should find some useful code by searching Google Groups
for, e.g. get microsoft word command line will rickards

Peter Jamieson

"cjobes" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need to start Word from cmd supplying a merge template and and imput
file.
Is it possible to submit those parameters so Word will start and
automatically perform the merge without user intervention?

Thanks,
Claus

cjobes

Thanks,

I'm shelling out with Proc() from .Net. I just don't have any experience
with WORD. Will do the search and see what I come up with.