Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yoshi.mitsou yoshi.mitsou is offline

Default Is there a workaround/kludge for cross referencing text that containsspaces and/or special characters?

I know that I can add a bookmark and then add a cross reference to
that bookmark. However, if a bookmark cannot contain spaces or certain
characters, then the cross reference to it is essentially useless.

Are there workarounds?

How do you effectively cross reference the text of an unnumbered
paragraph or heading without doing_this_to_the_designated_paragraph
OrTakingThisLovelyApproach or trying_something_retro_like_this?

There must be a workaround for this...? How do people manage large
documents where they must link to things like hyphenated or multi-word
definitions or citations that contain a word--the author's name, say--
and the publication year?

I'm using Word 2007, but I have access to Word 2010 in case there is a
more accessible workaround available in that version.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

A bookmark is just a name, and it's a name that isn't necessarily seen by
the user; it doesn't have to replicate the bookmarked text but can be a
title or summary of it. If the point of the cross-reference is to be a link,
then why not insert a hyperlink to the bookmark? The hyperlink's display
text can be anything you like.

http://word.mvps.org

"yoshi.mitsou" wrote in message
I know that I can add a bookmark and then add a cross reference to
that bookmark. However, if a bookmark cannot contain spaces or certain
characters, then the cross reference to it is essentially useless.

Are there workarounds?

How do you effectively cross reference the text of an unnumbered
paragraph or heading without doing_this_to_the_designated_paragraph
OrTakingThisLovelyApproach or trying_something_retro_like_this?

There must be a workaround for this...? How do people manage large
documents where they must link to things like hyphenated or multi-word
definitions or citations that contain a word--the author's name, say--
and the publication year?

I'm using Word 2007, but I have access to Word 2010 in case there is a
more accessible workaround available in that version.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yoshi.mitsou yoshi.mitsou is offline

I just returned back here to post this very explanation. It dawned on
me this morning after talking with a colleague that I was doing
exactly the wrong thing in my approach--I wasn't understanding the
tool fully.

I use a different word processor often, and it handles its equivalent
of bookmarks and cross references differently. Applying that tool's
approach to a Word document wound up confusing me. Things improved
once I realized that the bookmark title is just a designation and not
the text that will be reflected in the x-ref.

It also helped to realize that I have to select the entire phrase that
will appear as the cross-reference and then apply the bookmark to that
phrase. In the other word processor that I use, you can simply add its
equivalent of a bookmark to a space anywhere in the paragraph that you
wish to cross reference and it'll do the right thing. Doing that in
Word yields an empty x-ref...one more thing that compounded my
confusion.

All is well now. THanks, Suzanne, for the help.