cheddacheeze cheddacheeze is offline
Junior Member

Default Captions which include chapter numbers

Hi,
I have been having trouble in formatting captions for a very long project. I want it to include the chapter numbers on my pictures but whenever i change the chapter number, all the top captions change with the same chapter numbers

These are the steps i have undertaken

Changing the heading:

Giving the first chapter caption

After the caption is changed for chapter 2 for the 2nd picture on the top changes to figure 1.1.1

And when i change the caption to the next chapter level by doing this:

the first picture changes to figure 1.1.1.1, the 2nd figure changes to figure 1.1.1.1 also while the last picture i captioned it also becomes the same figure 1.1.1.1 as shown below

please help.... my project report is way too long to reference by hand
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You can't have more than one heading level associated with a given caption
label (such as Figure). Whenever you change the setting, you change it for
all captions, not just the current one. The conventional wisdom is that
captions deeper than ChapterNumber.FigureNumber are confusing, anyway. So
just associate the caption with Heading 1 and let it ride.

http://word.mvps.org

"cheddacheeze" wrote in message

Hi,
I have been having trouble in formatting captions for a very long
project. I want it to include the chapter numbers on my pictures but
whenever i change the chapter number, all the top captions change with
the same chapter numbers

These are the steps i have undertaken

Changing the heading:
[image: http://i49.tinypic.com/1zdnrf7.png]

Giving the first chapter caption
[image: http://i49.tinypic.com/2cxb291.png]

[image: http://i49.tinypic.com/vpdlp5.png]

the first picture changes to figure 1.1.1.1, the 2nd figure changes to
figure 1.1.1.1 also while the last picture i captioned it also becomes
the same figure 1.1.1.1 as shown below
[image: http://i48.tinypic.com/33y2qkg.png]

please help.... my project report is way too long to reference by hand

--
cheddacheeze

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

In particular, a *mixture* of different systems within the same text
would be very confusing, of course.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

cheddacheeze cheddacheeze is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
[...]

what im trying to do is have the figures correspond to the chapter
ie.
title 1
caption 1.1
but subtitle 1 eg (1.1)
to have caption 1.1.1

or is that impossible to do?
because later on i will need to have a list of figures and also list of tables
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

As Stefan and I have both told you, no, this is not possible. You can have
only one heading level associated with a given caption label. Best to stick
with your chapter title level (Heading 1).

Suzanne S. Barnhill;492472 Wrote:
You can't have more than one heading level associated with a given
caption
label (such as Figure). Whenever you change the setting, you change it
for
all captions, not just the current one. The conventional wisdom is that

captions deeper than ChapterNumber.FigureNumber are confusing, anyway.
So
just associate the caption with Heading 1 and let it ride.

http://word.mvps.org

...-

-