David A Edge

Default Underscore (_) will not always display in RTF files (Word 2002).

I use the underscore character (_) regularly. Just now, I am in the process
of transferring from Word for DOS to Word 2002, converting my data files via
RTF. I find that some RTF files opened in Word 2002 accept and display the
underscore quite normally, but others refuse to do so (whether via the
keyboard or as an inserted symbol). And yet the very same RTF files opened
in Word for DOS all accept and display the underscore without any problem.
What must I do to ensure that any RTF file (and any other file) opened in
Word 2002 will accept and display the underscore?
Graham Mayor

The Word for DOS filter is linked from the downloads page of my web site. I
do not claim it will work any better, but it would save some time and can be
used with the batch conversion wizard.

David A Edge wrote:
I use the underscore character (_) regularly. Just now, I am in the
process of transferring from Word for DOS to Word 2002, converting my
data files via RTF. I find that some RTF files opened in Word 2002
accept and display the underscore quite normally, but others refuse
to do so (whether via the keyboard or as an inserted symbol). And
yet the very same RTF files opened in Word for DOS all accept and
display the underscore without any problem. What must I do to ensure
that any RTF file (and any other file) opened in Word 2002 will
accept and display the underscore?

David A Edge

Thanks for the reply, which I appreciate.

I have already got a copy of the converter you suggest, DOSWRD32.CNV, which
I had rejected in favour of the RTF route. I find that both options have
shortcomings in converting symbols; and though the first succeeds with the
underscore, the converted page length does not match so nearly my accustomed
page length - in Courier font - as does the RTF option. (Text requires a
greater length of page than before, though the width is unaffected.)

It seems my originally-stated problem (non-displaying underscore) may be a
result of Courier incompatibility between Word for DOS and Word 2002. In
Word 2002, I have now discovered that I can make the hitherto non-displayed
underscores appear on screen by selecting a suitable block of text, including
paragraph marks, and changing the font to Courier New (the only Courier
option available). But this also has the effect of expanding that block of
text height-wise - so I might as well have used DOSWRD32.CNV. (I would
prefer to stick with Courier, at least initially. It seems odd that Word
2002 should be less efficient than Word for DOS in that respect.)

I shall root around a bit more. But I would appreciate any additional
informed comment.

David A Edge wrote:
I use the underscore character (_) regularly. Just now, I am in the
process of transferring from Word for DOS to Word 2002, converting my
data files via RTF. I find that some RTF files opened in Word 2002
accept and display the underscore quite normally, but others refuse
to do so (whether via the keyboard or as an inserted symbol). And
yet the very same RTF files opened in Word for DOS all accept and
display the underscore without any problem. What must I do to ensure
that any RTF file (and any other file) opened in Word 2002 will
accept and display the underscore?

Graham Mayor

The ability to display fonts is determined by the current printer driver and
the font outlines available. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm .

David A Edge wrote:
I use the underscore character (_) regularly. Just now, I am in the
process of transferring from Word for DOS to Word 2002, converting
my data files via RTF. I find that some RTF files opened in Word
2002 accept and display the underscore quite normally, but others
refuse to do so (whether via the keyboard or as an inserted
symbol). And yet the very same RTF files opened in Word for DOS
all accept and display the underscore without any problem. What
must I do to ensure that any RTF file (and any other file) opened
in Word 2002 will accept and display the underscore?

David A Edge

Thank you for your continuing interest.

I followed the link and read the article indicated. It seems not directly
pertinent, but it prompted me to install my printer for Word 2002. (I have a
laptop, a Compaq, and currently use no other machine. I have installed two
operating systems (dual-booting) and two word processing packages: (1) MS
Word Vs 6.0 for DOS (Vs 6.21), exactly as it was on my previous laptop; (2)
MS Word 2002 (Windows XP Home). I have only one printer, the only one I have
ever had: an HP DJ310.)

I then printed an appropriate page (from Word 2002), and the underscore
character was there, printed properly, despite its not being visible on
screen.

Furthermore, with the cursor positioned on screen at the (invisible)
underscore, the Reveal Formatting pane exhibited the Selected Text as an
underscore (visible).

As a point of interest, I considered using an underlined non-breaking space
as a work-around. (That character is typographically indistinguishable, by
me, from the underscore.) It displays entirely satisfactorily on screen
while the underscore refuses to display at all (unless I clear the version of
Courier introduced during conversion via RTF, and apply a font which, as
explained before, I would prefer not to use: viz, Courier New).

I am wondering whether it is possible to install additional Courier fonts in
Word 2002 (at least one of them to be identical, if possible, to that in Word
for DOS). If so, how? And from where?

I would very much like to be able to resolve this problem. It may be that,
as I delve further into Word 2002, I shall discover a satisfactory solution.
(I am proceeding cautiously before finally deciding how best to convert my
(previously existing) files from Word for DOS to Word 2002. They contain the
work of many years, which is still in progress and has some distance to go.)

David A Edge wrote:
I use the underscore character (_) regularly. Just now, I am in the
process of transferring from Word for DOS to Word 2002, converting
my data files via RTF. I find that some RTF files opened in Word
2002 accept and display the underscore quite normally, but others
refuse to do so (whether via the keyboard or as an inserted
symbol). And yet the very same RTF files opened in Word for DOS
all accept and display the underscore without any problem. What
must I do to ensure that any RTF file (and any other file) opened
in Word 2002 will accept and display the underscore?

Graham Mayor

Some applications will allow the display of screen fonts, like Courier. Word
will only display the fonts that the printer driver can print. Some,
especially older, apps. will produce a printed representation of screen
fonts. Word won't do this. Try a google search for courier fonts.

David A Edge wrote:
I use the underscore character (_) regularly. Just now, I am in
the process of transferring from Word for DOS to Word 2002,
converting my data files via RTF. I find that some RTF files
opened in Word 2002 accept and display the underscore quite
normally, but others refuse to do so (whether via the keyboard or
as an inserted symbol). And yet the very same RTF files opened
in Word for DOS all accept and display the underscore without any
problem. What must I do to ensure that any RTF file (and any
other file) opened in Word 2002 will accept and display the
underscore?

David A Edge

This is to report that I have now resolved my originally-stated problem
(non-displaying underscore). (You may wish to consult Camarda, Using
Microsoft Word 2002 [2001:130, 131], Setting Paragraph Spacing, ie line
spacing; or similar.)

The default line spacing in Word for DOS is Auto; in Word 2002 it is Single.
Using the converter DOSWRD32.CNV, my Word for DOS file(s) emerged in Word
2002 with single-spaced lines and the underscore displayed on screen
satisfactorily. Alternatively, converting the same Word for DOS file(s) via
RTF to Word 2002, the lines became spaced at exactly 12 pt and the underscore
failed to display. (You can test yourself that this variation of the line
spacing in Word 2002 has the effect stated.)

In the RTF case, therefore, altering the line spacing in Word 2002 to Single
(or At Least 12 pt, etc) causes the hitherto invisible underscore to
re-appear on screen. Magic!

But it is odd that, prior to altering the line spacing, under the same
conditions in which Word 2002 refuses to display the underscore it will
display (in the very same paragraph; even on the very same line) the
typographically indistinguishable underlined non-breaking space. (Again, you
will be able to test this yourself.) Also, why should the WYSIWYG display
(underscore invisible) fail to correspond to the actual printout (underscore
printed properly, as reported in my immediately previous post)?

There seems to be a bug of some sort.

I shall not expect a reply. But if you wish to refer this problem up the
line to MS Word you are welcome to do so, and in that case I would expect to
be kept informed, please.

I am aware that DOSWRD32.CNV and Word for DOS are no longer of interest to
Microsoft, but this problem may be associated with the conversion of RTF
files (in general) into Word 2002. If so, perhaps it merits attention. And
in any event, the printing and WYSIWYG oddities described in the fourth-last
paragraph (above) surely require attention?