Harald

Default Word 2000 - Parallel Chapter numbering - Manual in two tables

Hello

We are creating a manual containing two different languages. We want it to be in two columns and feel the best way to do that is to use a table. The right column will be a Norwegian version of the English text in the left column.

Our problem arises when we want to use the build in styles (Heading 1..4) for automatic heading numbering. The result we get looks like:

Example 1 - What we get:

1. Chapter in English ! 2. Chapter in Norwegian

Text in English ! Text in Norwegian

!

1.1 English Chapter level 2 ! 2.1 Norwegian Chapter Level 2

Example 2 - What we want is:

1. Chapter in English ! 1. Chapter in Norwegian

Text in English ! Text in Norwegian

!

1.1 English Chapter level 2 ! 1.1 Norwegian Chapter Level 2

We want to use Word styles (heading 1 .... 4) for headings and numbering the chapters. But if we use "Heading 1" for both languages, the numbering will be mixed ("As in Example 1.)

Question: How can we define two sets of "Heading styles" and the numbering for each style sets are independent of each other?

Hopefully it is possible to use Word's the build in functionality for creating TOC (one for each language)

If you have a template / document containing this styles I will be very happy if I can have a copy of it.

Thanks in advance
Harald

Doug Robbins

In the Norwegian version, rather than Heading numbering, you could use cross references to the number of the corresponding heading in the English version.

--
Please respond to the Newsgroup for the benefit of others who may be interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a paid consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Harald" wrote in message ...
[...]

Robert M. Franz

Hello Harald

Harald wrote:
We are creating a manual containing two different languages. We want it to be in two columns and feel the best way to do that is to use a table. The right column will be a Norwegian version of the English text in the left column.

Make sure that you are not using one huge table in your document. I'd
probably restart the table before every chapter at least (Word gets
rather slow with huge tables spanning more than a handful of pages).

Our problem arises when we want to use the build in styles (Heading 1..4) for automatic heading numbering. The result we get looks like:

[..]
We want to use Word styles (heading 1 .... 4) for headings and numbering the chapters. But if we use "Heading 1" for both languages, the numbering will be mixed ("As in Example 1.)

Question: How can we define two sets of "Heading styles" and the numbering for each style sets are independent of each other?

If you can work with Doug's scheme for the numbering, give that a go.

OTOH, you could really double your styleset if you want a clean file,
since then you don't have to apply direct formatting for the language.
Maybe someone in here can point you to the way how to best do that via VBA.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Stefan Blom

You can define an additional set of paragraph styles and format their
appearance (font name, font size, and so on) identical to that of the
built-in headings but then attach a separate outline numbering scheme.
You can follow the steps in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html to
ensure that you get it setup correctly.

--
Stefan Blom

"Harald" wrote:
[...]

Stefan Blom

Possibly, but apart from including chapter numbers with page numbers
(as described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm), nothing that
cannot be solved, I think.

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I would have suggested this but wondered if the lack of "magical"

heading
properties for the second set of styles would be a drawback.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.