Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Default Convert Text to Numbers and Vice Versa

Word 2003.

I am working on a 500 page document and a working policy has been put into
place whereby all numbers between 1 and 10 should be written out as text and
all textual numbers greater than 10 should appear as numbers.

For example, the number 5 should be written as *five* and the textual word
twelve should appear as 12.

Additionally, any numbers that appears between parenthases should be removed
completely.

For example, in an instance that appears as *twelve (12)* the result should
be merely the number 12.

Would it be possible to accomplish this conversion via a macro; or even two
separate macros?

Hopefully, I've explained the situation in a way that makes sense. It sure
would be a big help and save me quite a bit of time and tedium.

As always, thanks very much in advance.

Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Summer:

Thank you for your response.

I could see where using *search and replace* would be the quickest approach
if all of the numbers were the same. I.e., change all instances of the
number 10 to *ten*. Unless there's something you may not yet have told me -
like perhaps a method using wild cards, field codes, switches or something
along those lines.

I was actually hoping for a process that might be a bit more automatic
through the use of a macro, whereby the coding actually recognized a
selection as a textual number or vice versa and responded accordingly.

The possibility exists that I may be expecting too much in this regard.
However, I'll wait to see if any of the other resident gurus *weigh in* on
this situation.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is easier said than done
The following macro will convert numbers 1 to 10 to their text equivalents.
It may be possible to produce neater code, but this will do the job.

Sub NumbersToText()
Dim vFindText As Variant
Dim i As Long

vFindText = Array("1", "2", "3", "4", _
"5", "6", "7", "8", "9", "10")
With Selection
With .Find
.ClearFormatting
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = True
.MatchWholeWord = True
.MatchWildcards = True
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
For i = LBound(vFindText) To UBound(vFindText)
.Text = vFindText(i)
While .Execute
With Selection
If vFindText(i) = "10" Then
.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, _
Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:="=10 \*Cardtext", _
PreserveFormatting:=False
Else
.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, _
Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:="=" & _
Mid(vFindText(i), 2, 1) & " \*Cardtext", _
PreserveFormatting:=False
End If
.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.Fields.Unlink
.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
End With
Wend
Next i
End With
End With
End Sub

I don't see any simple way of converting numbers written out as text to
numbers unless there are a finite number of numbered texts for which you
could search and replace. That being the case you could create a two column
table in a Word document - here D:\My Documents\Test\changes.doc - with the
numbers written out in the first column with their equivalents in the second
then run the following macro to replace items in the first column with those
in the second. It is going to take forever to run if you have a lot of
different numbers to cope with.

Sub ReplaceFromTableList()

Dim ChangeDoc As Document, RefDoc As Document
Dim ctable As Table
Dim oldpart As Range, newpart As Range
Dim i As Long

Set RefDoc = ActiveDocument
Set ChangeDoc = Documents.Open("D:\My Documents\Test\changes.doc")
Set ctable = ChangeDoc.Tables(1)
RefDoc.Activate
For i = 1 To ctable.Rows.Count
Set oldpart = ctable.Cell(i, 1).Range
oldpart.End = oldpart.End - 1
Set newpart = ctable.Cell(i, 2).Range
newpart.End = newpart.End - 1
Selection.HomeKey wdStory
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Execute findText:=oldpart, _
ReplaceWith:=newpart, _
replace:=wdReplaceAll, _
MatchWildcards:=False, _
Forward:=True, _
Wrap:=wdFindContinue
End With
Next i
ChangeDoc.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges
End Sub

The numbers

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Graham:

Thank you so very much for providing both of these macros. As soon as I am
able, I am going to try them out.

You folks out there who contribute to this forum constantly amaze me with
your abilities. I sure wish that one of you (or even a collaboration) would
take it upon yourselves to write a book which focuses exclusively on VBA for
Word using "real world" examples.

I have a series of about five books that I've attempted to use over the last
couple of years in an attempt to get at least a rudimentary understanding of
VBA for Word and have yet to stumble upon one that brings the learning
process "home for me".

Alternatively, if you know of a book that you would recommend, I would be
forever beholden to you or whomever. In the meantime, I shall continue to
rely upon all of you collective gurus out there in order to have my dilemmas
so billiantly addressed.

If by chance you're a "Yankee" enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday.

With much appreciation...

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There are lots of web sites that reference snippets of vba code - including
my own, and I keep adding them from time to time, but creating answers to
problems is a mental exercise that keeps us amused when we have nothing
better to do and as others refine our code we all learn from the experience.
You would however be better posting vba questions in a vba forum.

Thanks for your holiday wishes, but I live on the other side of the pond.
Here the main annual holiday is Easter.

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Graham:

At this stage of my VBA learning status I find it somewhat scary that there
are those of you who are "amused" by coming up with applicable coding, but
can understand the challenge of concocting resolutions for those of us who
depend on you all so greatly. However, the thought does provide me with
something towards which I might strive.

You mentioned a VBA forum. Is that synonymous with the "Word Progamming"
category within this forum or something entirely different?

In the meantime, I will check out the web site for some of those VBA
snippets that you suggested.

Once again, my thanks to you and all of your compadres within this
particular forum for all that you do.

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

For ease of access to the Word (and other Microsoft) forums see
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

"Summer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Word Programming discussion group is one of the word.vba hierarchy of
NGs. As Graham says, you'll have much easier access to all of them if you
access MSNews directly using an NNTP newsreader. If, however, the
restrictions of a corporate network prevent you from doing so, you can get a
complete list of all the NGs in alphabetical order at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx and
a complete list subdivided by language at

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Thank you Suzanne for the additional information. As is evidenced by my
postings, I can use all the help I can get. :-)