Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
unity22 unity22 is offline

Default Replacing Tabs in Word

I am writring a dictionary and have used a tab at the beginning of each
entry to distinguish it from a heading.

However now I wish to get rid of the tabs and I have tried doing it by using
the "replace" function (control H), to replace a tab with nothing.

But I cannot find a function on "replace" for tabs.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of tabs without manually deleting each one?

Thanks,

unity 22
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

^t is what you use to find tabs. In the Find and Replace dialog, if you
click on the More button and then on Special, you will see Tab character as
the second item in the list. Selecting that will insert ^t in the Find what
control.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"unity22" wrote in message

I am writring a dictionary and have used a tab at the beginning of each
entry to distinguish it from a heading.

However now I wish to get rid of the tabs and I have tried doing it by
using
the "replace" function (control H), to replace a tab with nothing.

But I cannot find a function on "replace" for tabs.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of tabs without manually deleting each
one?

Thanks,

unity 22

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
unity22 unity22 is offline

Doug,

Thanks. I have tried ^t, but Word says that it finds no instances of ^t so
that particular solution does not work.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Steve

"unity22" wrote in message

I am writring a dictionary and have used a tab at the beginning of each
entry to distinguish it from a heading.

However now I wish to get rid of the tabs and I have tried doing it by
using
the "replace" function (control H), to replace a tab with nothing.

But I cannot find a function on "replace" for tabs.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of tabs without manually deleting each
one?

Thanks,

unity 22

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

And managed to get a different subject text? Good trick!

If ^t is not being recognised then there are no tabs in your document.

Chances are that you have a setting in autoformat as you type, to define
styles based on your formatting. In which case they are indents. Verify by
pressing CTRL+* of click the ¶ button on the toolbar or look at the ruler
with the cursor in an indented para. That being the case, use the replace
function to replace the indented style with a non-indented style. See also
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

"unity22" wrote in message

I am writring a dictionary and have used a tab at the beginning of
each entry to distinguish it from a heading.

However now I wish to get rid of the tabs and I have tried doing it
by using
the "replace" function (control H), to replace a tab with nothing.

But I cannot find a function on "replace" for tabs.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of tabs without manually deleting
each one?

Thanks,

unity 22

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
unity22 unity22 is offline

It's true that I made an error in calling them "tabs" and that I have used
the indent icon on my toolbar to indent. Thanks for pointing out my error,
Graham.

But it is not a formatting operation. I have manually inserted indents. Now
that we have the problem correctly specified, I'm not sure if going to
formatting is still the way I need to go. Will going to formatting remove my
manual indents?

Steve

"unity22" wrote in message

I am writring a dictionary and have used a tab at the beginning of
each entry to distinguish it from a heading.

However now I wish to get rid of the tabs and I have tried doing it
by using
the "replace" function (control H), to replace a tab with nothing.

But I cannot find a function on "replace" for tabs.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of tabs without manually deleting
each one?

Thanks,

unity 22

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
unity22 unity22 is offline

I tell you, Graham, you have broken the logjam here. I see I can highlight
a whole section of the dictionary and then remove the indent using the
"decrease indent" icon on the toolbar. That being the case, I can move much
more quickly through the document. That is a great improvement.

Thanks for pointing out my error in treating the matter as one dealing with
tabs instead of one dealing with indents.

Steve

"unity22" wrote in message

I am writring a dictionary and have used a tab at the beginning of
each entry to distinguish it from a heading.

However now I wish to get rid of the tabs and I have tried doing it
by using
the "replace" function (control H), to replace a tab with nothing.

But I cannot find a function on "replace" for tabs.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of tabs without manually deleting
each one?

Thanks,

unity 22

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

....Just for clarification, all types of indentation _are_ formatting
attributes regardless of whether the Ruler, the toolbar button the keyboard
or FormatParagraph is used to apply the indentation.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones