Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Guy Yeakley Guy Yeakley is offline

Default Format repeat -- would like to see

I do a lot of repeat formatting by scrolling through documents or
spreadsheets and hitting the F4 key. Sometimes I miss, and oops! have to undo
the formatting then format what I wanted where I wanted it and move on,
repeating again. I'd love to see a function that does that for me -- oops,
don't repeat here, repeat there.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Copy the formatting with Ctrl+Shift+C, and paste the formatting to other
selected text with Ctrl+Shift+V. If you undo some pasted formatting, just
select another bit of text and paste again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Guy Yeakley wrote:
I do a lot of repeat formatting by scrolling through documents or
spreadsheets and hitting the F4 key. Sometimes I miss, and oops! have
to undo the formatting then format what I wanted where I wanted it
and move on, repeating again. I'd love to see a function that does
that for me -- oops, don't repeat here, repeat there.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

Guy,

The method you are describing is called direct formating vice formating by
the use of styles.

You can quickly re-apply direct formatting by selecting the formatted word,
and then double-clicking on the format painter tool (looks like a paint
brush).
Double-cliking locks you selection of the formatting tool until you press
the ESC key or until you select another tool. You can use the mouse to
repeatedly apply the formatting as long as the tool selection is locked.
Simly, single click on the target word to apply the formatting or do as Jay
recommends.

In his post, Jay Freedman, identified the keyboard shorts to perfrom these
actions
Ctrl+Shift+C, to select the format, Ctrl+Shift+V, to apply the formatting.

Most MVPs will recommend that you learn to use styles vice direct
formatting. This recommendation is because styles provide numerous advantages
over direct formatting. A style definition can contain more than 150
formatting choices, and can be applied with a single click. Styles can apply
to characters, paragraphs, lists, tables, etc.

--
Tom Conrad

===

Guy Yeakley wrote:
I do a lot of repeat formatting by scrolling through documents or
spreadsheets and hitting the F4 key. Sometimes I miss, and oops! have
to undo the formatting then format what I wanted where I wanted it
and move on, repeating again. I'd love to see a function that does
that for me -- oops, don't repeat here, repeat there.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But note that the shortcuts for Copy Format and Paste Format can also be
used to apply styles.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Copy the formatting with Ctrl+Shift+C, and paste the formatting to other
selected text with Ctrl+Shift+V. If you undo some pasted formatting,

just
select another bit of text and paste again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

newsgroup so