Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
emporter emporter is offline

Default Head-scratcher concerning wildcards and Word 2007

Hi everybody --

I've run into a problem concerning Word 2007's find/replace feature
involving wildcards.

To keep this very brief, we use a trick to duplicate italics from one
version of a file into a new, cleaned up version. All text in need of
italicization is "bookmarked" by Q's so it would look like: QQQQI need
italicsQQQQ.

We use find and replace with a simple wildcard:

Find: QQQQ*QQQQ
Replace: (format: Italics)

Then we remove the Q's, and voila, MOST of us end up with everything
italicized as intended. However, we've just discovered that only those Word
2007 users on desktops get the Q's and the text between them italicized.

Word 2007 users on laptop end up with only the Q's italicized.

Granted, our wildcard trick is pretty jerry-rigged, but does anyone know of
a specific bug or keystroke conflict that would make Word stop treating
QQQQ*QQQQ as a single string on laptop? Or is there some other flavor of evil
afoot?

This simple trick saves people hours of work duplicating those italics, so
an answer/solution/workaround is desperately needed.

Help, please?