Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Janet A. Thompson Janet A. Thompson is offline

Default Mergeformat field code visible when opening document

I generally keep my "all formatting marks" (the para symbol icon) turned on....
In one numbered chapter document, the fieldcodes are visible when you open
the document. I have to toggle the field to turn them off. No matter what I
do to that doc., it always behaves that way.

How do you set the opening so that the field codes are never displyed. I
want it "clean" so that when someone else opens it, they see the clean
version.
--
Janet A.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Janet,

Field code visibility can be toggled via Alt-F9. Whether a particular users sees the field code or its results depends on the
toggle-state for their Word installation - not on anything in the document. You could try to enforce a particular view via an
automatic macro included with the document, but that would require the user to have an appropriate security setting and to allow the
macro to run.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Janet A. Thompson" wrote in message ...
I generally keep my "all formatting marks" (the para symbol icon) turned on....
In one numbered chapter document, the fieldcodes are visible when you open
the document. I have to toggle the field to turn them off. No matter what I
do to that doc., it always behaves that way.

How do you set the opening so that the field codes are never displyed. I
want it "clean" so that when someone else opens it, they see the clean
version.
--
Janet A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Janet A. Thompson Janet A. Thompson is offline

I'm pretty sure I've togglede that and then saved but when I reopen, it
reverts to its original behavior and the field codes show. Thanks
--
Janet A.

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

In that case, go to Tools, Options, View tab and deselect the Show
Fieldcodes check box.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP