Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Yaya_Austin

Default Table of Contents - tab leaders

Ok, this is serious! I inherited bylaw...ugh! When the table of contents
prints...the leaders print like this:
1.1 Title. .........1
1.2 Second title..........1
1.3 Third title. ...........1

The problem is that my author wants this uniform!
1.1 Title. .........1
1.2 Second title. ..........1
1.3 Third title. ...........1
I think she's the only one who sees that "." but I've spent too long on this
today and can't figure out the solution.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Wants what uniform? Are you talking about the gap in the leaders in 1.1 and
1.3. I suspect that is caused by the headings that are being included in
the Table of Contents have a period and a space (and maybe another period)
after the text.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Yaya_Austin" wrote in message
Ok, this is serious! I inherited bylaw...ugh! When the table of contents
prints...the leaders print like this:
1.1 Title. .........1
1.2 Second title..........1
1.3 Third title. ...........1

The problem is that my author wants this uniform!
1.1 Title. .........1
1.2 Second title. ..........1
1.3 Third title. ...........1
I think she's the only one who sees that "." but I've spent too long on
this
today and can't figure out the solution.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Yaya_Austin

yes. that's the uniform issue. I tried to delete the underline in format
text but didn't work. Should I delete the code and reinsert it? Or, how
would you suggest I correct it? I swear, no one sees that "." but I'm being
asked to fix it.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I am not sure where the underline comes into this. What I suggested was
that some of the headings in the body of the document have a period then a
space or maybe a period then a space then a period after them.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Just delete the space(s) and the period at the end of heading text, as
suggested by Doug, and then update the table of contents (F9 does the
latter).

To make the deletion easier, you can enable the display of nonprinting
characters (click the ¶ button on the Standard toolbar) to see space
characters in the text; each will display as a dot: "·".

For more about nonprinting characters, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Wants what uniform? Are you talking about the gap in the leaders

in 1.1 and
1.3. I suspect that is caused by the headings that are being

included in
the Table of Contents have a period and a space (and maybe another

period)
after the text.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my