Posted to microsoft.public.word,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter Olcott

Default Simultaneous Left and Right Justification

There is probably another term for this, and if I knew what that term was I
could look up the answer to me problem. I found an MS word file on the internet
the other night that was formatted such that both its left margin, and its right
margin were aligned to perfectly straight lines. I want to know how I can make
this work on my existing MS Word files. I think that it has to do with kerning,
but, when I selected this feature it did not have this result. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Select the text that you want to be so justified and then either click on
the toolbar button that has equal length horizontal lines or from the Format
menu, select Paragraph and then from the Alignment pulldown on the Indents
and Spacing tab, select Justified.

If you want to use this format on a regular basis, you should create a style
for it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Peter Olcott" wrote in message
There is probably another term for this, and if I knew what that term was
I could look up the answer to me problem. I found an MS word file on the
internet the other night that was formatted such that both its left
margin, and its right margin were aligned to perfectly straight lines. I
want to know how I can make this work on my existing MS Word files. I
think that it has to do with kerning, but, when I selected this feature it
did not have this result. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

Bear in mind that Word's justification algorithm is really pretty cruddy.
For anyone who cares about the aesthetics of typography, the result is not
acceptable. You'll notice that Microsoft themselves don't use it in most of
their manuals.

"Peter Olcott" wrote in message
There is probably another term for this, and if I knew what that term was
I could look up the answer to me problem. I found an MS word file on the
internet the other night that was formatted such that both its left
margin, and its right margin were aligned to perfectly straight lines. I
want to know how I can make this work on my existing MS Word files. I
think that it has to do with kerning, but, when I selected this feature it
did not have this result. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

You *may* prefer the layout with tools options compatibility - "Do full
justification like WordPerfect 6.x for Windows" checked.

Jezebel wrote:
Bear in mind that Word's justification algorithm is really pretty
cruddy. For anyone who cares about the aesthetics of typography, the
result is not acceptable. You'll notice that Microsoft themselves
don't use it in most of their manuals.

"Peter Olcott" wrote in message
There is probably another term for this, and if I knew what that
term was I could look up the answer to me problem. I found an MS
word file on the internet the other night that was formatted such
that both its left margin, and its right margin were aligned to
perfectly straight lines. I want to know how I can make this work on
my existing MS Word files. I think that it has to do with kerning,
but, when I selected this feature it did not have this result. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

If you want chapter and verse on what a good justification algorithm has to
do, read Donald Knuth's paper 'On breaking a paragraph into lines' -- it's
the algorithm used in Tex and (I'm told) in later versions of PageMaker. It
calls for very intensive processing...

Jezebel wrote:
Bear in mind that Word's justification algorithm is really pretty
cruddy. For anyone who cares about the aesthetics of typography, the
result is not acceptable. You'll notice that Microsoft themselves
don't use it in most of their manuals.

"Peter Olcott" wrote in message
There is probably another term for this, and if I knew what that
term was I could look up the answer to me problem. I found an MS
word file on the internet the other night that was formatted such
that both its left margin, and its right margin were aligned to
perfectly straight lines. I want to know how I can make this work on
my existing MS Word files. I think that it has to do with kerning,
but, when I selected this feature it did not have this result. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
anon k

Graham Mayor wrote:
Frankly I'd rather have surgery without anaesthetic

Well, the essence of the matter is that you should try to shrink spaces
in preference to adding them. The default Word setting is to only add
spaces. If you turn on "justify like WordPerfect" it combines both.