Deb

Default Styles Growing

I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0" Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is not turned
on on any of my styles.
Klaus Linke

Hi Deb,

What you see is formatting, not styles. The task pane is named "Styles =
and formatting", and if you have checked "Tools Options Edit Keep =
track of formatting", it'll show all the manual formatting you (or some =
AutoFormatting gizmo) have applied.
You can turn that off, but I'd rather try not to apply manual formatting =
at all -- or remove it if it has been accidentally applied (Ctrl+Q for =
manual paragraph formatting, Ctrl+Spacebar for manual font formatting).

Regards,
Klaus

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I =

get=20
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0" =

Hanging:=20
1.5" Befo 6 pt"
=20
Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is not=20
turned on on any of my styles.

Elbert

PMFJI, but I have the same problem. Toolsoptionseditkeep track of
formatting is not checked. Toolsautocorrectautoformat as you typedefine
styles based on your formatting is also unchecked. Yet every time I assign a
style to a paragraph (eg, a heading) that style appears again at the top of
the styles task pane.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Elbert

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0" Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is not
turned on on any of my styles.

Margaret Aldis

The pane shows the most recently used styles in a short list at the top,
followed by a full list of all the styles. The styles aren't duplicated -
it's just intended to provide a quick way of applying commonly used styles.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I
get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0"
Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is not
turned on on any of my styles.

Elbert

Thanks for the info. Strangely, I'm using the same template on two computers.
On one of them I get the most recently used styles at the top, on the other I
don't. Unhappily I have no idea how I managed to turn it off on the one, or
I'd do it on the other. I use the template enough that I kinda know where
styles are in the list, and having the extra list at the top moves them down
until they're not where I expect them, and I can't see some of them.

Elbert

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

The pane shows the most recently used styles in a short list at the top,
followed by a full list of all the styles. The styles aren't duplicated -
it's just intended to provide a quick way of applying commonly used styles.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I
get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0"
Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is not
turned on on any of my styles.

Shauna Kelly

Hi Elbert

In the Styles and Formatting pane, experiment with the "Show" drop-down list
at the bottom of the pane. You see the most-recent-styles list only if you
are displaying "All styles". My preference is to use the "Custom" option and
decide exactly what you'd like to see. You don't get the most-recent-styles
list when you do that.

Bear in mind that "All styles" does not mean "all the styles", that "Styles
in use" includes any style ever used in this document even if it's not in
the document now, and "Available styles" is beyond my understanding.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

The pane shows the most recently used styles in a short list at the top,
followed by a full list of all the styles. The styles aren't duplicated -
it's just intended to provide a quick way of applying commonly used
styles.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I
get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0"
Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is
not
turned on on any of my styles.

Isn't "Available styles" the result of the styles you've made available
through Custom?

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

The pane shows the most recently used styles in a short list at the

top,
followed by a full list of all the styles. The styles aren't

duplicated -
it's just intended to provide a quick way of applying commonly used
styles.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

news PMFJI, but I have the same problem. Toolsoptionseditkeep track of

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something

get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left:

0"
Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is
not
turned on on any of my styles.

Elbert

Hi Shauna,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still having trouble. Here's what's weird:

I'm using two computers and synchronizing software that keeps documents and
templates synchronized. I disconnected the computers, started both from
scratch, and checked both: the normal template, my custom template, and my
document have exactly the same time stamps on both computers.

I open the document on one computer. In the styles and formatting task pane,
"show" is set to "available styles." Most recent styles do NOT appear at the
top of the task pane.

I open the document on the other computer. "Show" is set to "custom" (!!).
Most recent styles DO appear at the top of the task pane. I switch to show
available styles. Most recent styles still appear at the top of the list.

It appears that the same program accessing the same data on two different
computers behaves differently on the two computers. I'm really out of my
depth here.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Elbert

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I
get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0"
Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is
not
turned on on any of my styles.

JD

The question is simple.

As soon as I apply any formatting to a piece of text, Word automatically
creates a new style (ie, something that shows in the style drop-down window).
I don't want this in any shape or form. I want it turned off so that if I
open a document with 20 styles in it and work on the doc for four hours, I
still only have 20 styles in it when I close (unless I have specifically told
Word to create a new style). A simple enough question. All over the
Internet people are asking the same question. Why can't anybody answer it?

JD

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I
get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0"
Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is
not
turned on on any of my styles.

Daiya Mitchell

Your question is completely different from this existing thread. It's
better to start a new thread if the problem is not *identical*.

See #4 here for the explanation:
http://shaunakelly.com/word/sfpane/S...ttingPane.html

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I
get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0"
Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is
not
turned on on any of my styles.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Liz Z

Please, please tell me that you got an answer to this question!!! It has been
driving me NUTS ever since I started using Word 2003!!!!!!
--
Liz Z

"Deb" wrote:
I have a style called Body Text. Each time I apply it to something I
get
another Style called "Body Text + Indent," or "Body Text + Left: 0"
Hanging:
1.5" Befo 6 pt"

Why does this happen? The Automatically Update Styles feature is
not
turned on on any of my styles.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Look at some of the answers.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Elbert" wrote:

Hi Shauna,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still having trouble. Here's what's
weird:

I'm using two computers and synchronizing software that keeps documents
and
templates synchronized. I disconnected the computers, started both from
scratch, and checked both: the normal template, my custom template, and
my
document have exactly the same time stamps on both computers.

I open the document on one computer. In the styles and formatting task
pane,
"show" is set to "available styles." Most recent styles do NOT appear
at the
top of the task pane.

I open the document on the other computer. "Show" is set to "custom"
(!!).