Sub/Superscripts in Autocorrect

Old March 27th 12, 02:04 PM
ajfis2 ajfis2 is offline

Default Sub/Superscripts in Autocorrect

I type a lot of chemical formulae, so I tried to set up some Autocorrects for things like H2O and H2SO4 to be changed to H2O and H2SO4. To do that, I clicked the "formatted text" radio button. It converts to subscripts perfectly, but it changes the font from whatever it was that I was typing in to Arial (just for the Autocorrected text).

Looks like a catch-22, can't use Autocorrect to put in sub/superscripts without using "formatted text" but can't match the font if "formatted text" is used.

Any ideas???
Old March 27th 12, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

What if, instead of using "Subscript" format, you use the characters
"subscript 2" (etc.) that you'll find at Unicode 2080 through 2089?
Among the fonts supplied with Office that include them are Calibri,
Cambria, Cambria Math, Lucida Sans, and Arial Unicode (but not Arial,
and not TNR).

The reason Word changes your font may be that it's too smart for its
own good: instead of simply lowering the number and making it smaller
("Subscript" style), it tries to substitute the actual subscript
character (which has thicker strokes than a reduced regular character
so it won't look washed out), and the default font for substitutions
is Arial. If your whole text is in Cambria rather than TNR, you
shouldn't have that problem.

--
ajfis2

Old March 28th 12, 08:16 PM
ajfis2 ajfis2 is offline

Thanks that worked brilliantly, it leaves the letters in the original font and converts the digits to subscripts (in Math Cambria font). I'm writing a paper that requires Arial font, so I'll see if it sneaks through.