Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnSmith JohnSmith is offline

Default turn off ALL automatic formatting PERMANENTLY, FOREVER, NO EXCEPTI

How can I get Word to save my settings when I turn off AutoText, AutoFormat,
AutoFormat As You Type, and AutoCorrect?

I want them all turned off permanently, for the rest of my life. I don't
ever, EVER want them turned on again under any circumstances whatsoever.

I've seen it suggested to save the changes in Normal.dot but that doesn't
work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've successfully altered
Normal.dot for other purposes in the past so I know my way around somewhat.

Please include step-by-step instructions in your answer. This has been
driving me crazy for months and I can't take it any more!

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnSmith JohnSmith is offline

Default turn off ALL automatic formatting PERMANENTLY, FOREVER

uhh, the website cut off my post's subject line and there's no way to edit
posts. Aim high, Microsoft! You're only 7 years or so behind the rest of the
world in terms of forum functionality!

Should've read:

turn off ALL automatic formatting PERMANENTLY, FOREVER, NO EXCEPTIONS

"JohnSmith" wrote:

How can I get Word to save my settings when I turn off AutoText, AutoFormat,
AutoFormat As You Type, and AutoCorrect?

I want them all turned off permanently, for the rest of my life. I don't
ever, EVER want them turned on again under any circumstances whatsoever.

I've seen it suggested to save the changes in Normal.dot but that doesn't
work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've successfully altered
Normal.dot for other purposes in the past so I know my way around somewhat.

Please include step-by-step instructions in your answer. This has been
driving me crazy for months and I can't take it any more!

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

These settings are not in Normal.dot but in the Registry. If they are not
being saved, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm for instructions on
nuking the Word Data key to solve the problem. Be aware, however, that if
changes in Options settings are not retained, the culprit is often an
add-in.

http://word.mvps.org

"JohnSmith" wrote:

How can I get Word to save my settings when I turn off AutoText,
AutoFormat,
AutoFormat As You Type, and AutoCorrect?

I want them all turned off permanently, for the rest of my life. I don't
ever, EVER want them turned on again under any circumstances whatsoever.

I've seen it suggested to save the changes in Normal.dot but that doesn't
work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've successfully altered
Normal.dot for other purposes in the past so I know my way around
somewhat.

Please include step-by-step instructions in your answer. This has been
driving me crazy for months and I can't take it any more!

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...AutoFormat.htm
As for the forum - the Microsoft forums are merely one of many windows into
an NNTP server hosted by Microsoft, but widely syndicated to a variety of
Usenet servers. Calling back your errors for re-editing is therefore not
possible.

"JohnSmith" wrote:

How can I get Word to save my settings when I turn off AutoText,
AutoFormat, AutoFormat As You Type, and AutoCorrect?

I want them all turned off permanently, for the rest of my life. I
don't ever, EVER want them turned on again under any circumstances
whatsoever.

I've seen it suggested to save the changes in Normal.dot but that
doesn't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've successfully
altered Normal.dot for other purposes in the past so I know my way
around somewhat.

Please include step-by-step instructions in your answer. This has
been driving me crazy for months and I can't take it any more!

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnSmith JohnSmith is offline

Thanks! Deleting the registry key is working, *for now*. We'll see how long
it sticks.

winword.exe /a. didn't make any difference.

Be aware, however, that if changes in Options settings are not retained, the culprit is often an
add-in.

What kind of add-ins? I've never knowingly used one. Maybe EndNote's an
add-in? But I've used it for years and never had the current problem before
and haven't made any changes to or upgraded EndNote.

I saw on other forums that Acrobat 7 can mess with Word settings, but when I
read the posts in detail they didn't cover my specific problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnSmith JohnSmith is offline

I should've been more clear: I know how to turn all the Auto-everything off
but every time I open Word they're all turned on again (i.e. boxes checked)

But the previous suggestion to delete a registry key is working so far
(after 2 days or so)

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

As for the forum - the Microsoft forums are merely one of many windows into an NNTP server hosted by Microsoft, but widely syndicated to a variety of
Usenet servers. Calling back your errors for re-editing is therefore not
possible.

Fine. Microsoft is right and the other 10 million forums on the internet are
doing it the wrong way.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnSmith JohnSmith is offline

Default turn off ALL automatic formatting - PS thanks Suzanne, Graham

Forgot to say -

I've used both your websites for Word help, it was a couple years ago, don't
know exactly what for, but several serious hair-pulling, scream-provoking
Word problems were solved.

You two and Shauna Kelly - these names stuck because the info cut right
through to the problems at hand!