no_one_special no_one_special is offline
Junior Member

Default Line spacing too large in doc sent from Japan

I have a document originally created in Japan, and the spacing between lines is unusually large. About 150% of normal. The text is in English, but when I check the style settings it says: Font: (Default) Adobe Garamond Pro, (Asian) Japanese, (Other) English (U.S.)

I have no asian fonts or keyboards installed on my computer, so there is nothing to remove (one of the solutions commonly posted).
Also, I have checked my grid settings and they are not currently on (another common solution).

Pasting into new documents does not help. The formatting comes too.
Editing,deleting, modifying styles does not help. Even when I've managed to remove all indication of an asian font from the paragraph information the spacing still remains.

Naturally, I have checked all my standard paragraph and spacing settings...the problem is not with them. The extra spacing caused by asian origins seems impossible to remove.

One solution was to hard-wire my line spacing by setting it to "Exactly 14pt", but that results in the bottom of dangling letters (such as "g") being cut off.

The final solution is to paste all text as "unformatted", which works, however then I lose all my other formatting, such as italics. It is a VERY long document and replacing all the formatting is a horrendous prospect.

Any tips much appreciated.

I am using Office 2012.
no_one_special no_one_special is offline
Junior Member

Well...solved my own problem

Downloaded Wordperfect X6 trial...opened and converted problem file.
Re-loaded and converted back in MS Word.
Problem Solved! All line spacing is now fixed. All other formatting retained.

Thanks, Wordperfect, for being better than MS Word (in this instance).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Unusual large line spacing could be caused by the selected font. Especially
"complete" Unicode fonts (which I imagine might be useful when typing in
Japanese) have this problem. Also, note that some special characters may be in a
separate Unicode font (such as MS Mincho), simply because those characters
aren't supported in the actual font for the text. It's possible that either of
these problems were cured when you pasted into WordPerfect.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP