Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Day Bob Day is offline

Default Stopping "Do you want to save changes to the document template?"

Every time a save a document (click on save icon) that originated from a
File New custom template, I get the question "Do you want to save changes to
the document template?"

To me, this is very dangerous and could ruin a lot of work on templates. I
do not what this questions asked every time or at all. How do I stop it
from being asked? I see nothing in the template itself that would cause it
to be asked?

Thanks!
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Bob

There must be something in the template that is making it "dirty". It could
be any kind of change at all, but the most frequent culprit is adding,
deleting or changing toolbars or buttons on toolbars.

You'll need to fix the template to solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Bob Day" wrote in message
Every time a save a document (click on save icon) that originated from a
File New custom template, I get the question "Do you want to save changes
to the document template?"

To me, this is very dangerous and could ruin a lot of work on templates.
I do not what this questions asked every time or at all. How do I stop it
from being asked? I see nothing in the template itself that would cause
it to be asked?

Thanks!
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Day Bob Day is offline

Default Stopping "Do you want to save changes to the document template?" Post 2

Using Word 2003 with all latest updates.

Created a new template test.dot but did nothing to it and save it as a
template (i.e. a blank page).

Created a new document based on this test.dot and did nothing to it and
clicked the save button icon. It saved with no dialog boxes to test.doc.

I then typed the letter B, and clicked the save button and got the following
dialog box question:

Do you also want to save changes to the document template?

I answered Yes.

Tools, Templates & add-ins is unchecked for automatically update styles.

I opened test.dot, and the letter B was not type on it (which I would expect
it to be, since I indicated Yes).

I repeated the test several times in several different ways, and with any
change to the new .doc you got the save template question. Without any
change, you did not.

This question should not be appearing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

"Bob Day" wrote in message
Every time a save a document (click on save icon) that originated from a
File New custom template, I get the question "Do you want to save changes
to the document template?"

To me, this is very dangerous and could ruin a lot of work on templates.
I do not what this questions asked every time or at all. How do I stop
it from being asked? I see nothing in the template itself that would
cause it to be asked?

Thanks!
Bob

ariadne ariadne is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

Try this:

go to Tools-- Templates and Add-Ins

Make sure that the "Checked items are currently loaded" checkbox is deselected.

Click OK.

It worked for me ...
rmoxley rmoxley is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariadne View Post
Try this: go to Tools-- Templates and Add-Ins
Make sure that the "Checked items are currently loaded" checkbox is deselected.
Click OK. It worked for me ...
Hi. I'm having the same problem, and finding no help with the solution offered up.

The problem--which only happens to word files on my desktop PC, even as the same file works fine on my laptop pc--is that Word 2010 seems incapable of properly handling *all* word templates.

The symptoms:

i have two examples that may help decipher the problem.

1. As noted above by another member, using any document that was originally created from a template file will continually ask upon saving if I want to save the changes to the template ... which makes no sense, since i should be no longer working with a template -- i'm working on a .doc or .docx file now.

2. The other problem -- whenever i open a template document by double-clicking on it, Word is supposed to open not the template but rather an untitled document based on the template, right? well, that ain't happening. instead, it opens every word template file so that you are directly into the template! highly annoying, and a bit dangerous to the template file because many a time I've accidently lost the content of the template because i thought i was editing a regular document based on the template.

In trying your solution, it seems you guidance is not based on word 2010, as there is no tools menu in 2010 per se. i managed to find something similar by navigating to File - Options - Add-Ins - Manage Templates - which brings me to a "Global templates and add-ins" window that is labled "Checked items are currently loaded," as you describe above. But the window is blank -- nothing in it to check or uncheck.

Any other suggested solutions?