Gordon SArmy

Default AutoText entries will not save after closing and re-opening MS Wor

When I add new AutoText entries in MS Word I can use them fine but when I
close Word and re-open it the entries are gone and I have to re-do them
again. Is there a fix for this?
garfield-n-odie

Is Adobe Acrobat 7.0 installed on the computer? If so, the
Acrobat 7.0 Create Adobe PDF toolbar add-in for Word prevents
Word from automatically saving changes to the normal.dot template
(which is where autotext is stored). Create/change the autotext
again, and click "Shift+File | Save All" to force Word to save
the normal.dot template. Alternatively, you can prevent the
add-in from loading as described in the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm , but
you'll lose the PDF toolbar if you do this.

Gordon SArmy wrote:

When I add new AutoText entries in MS Word I can use them fine but when I
close Word and re-open it the entries are gone and I have to re-do them
again. Is there a fix for this?

Gordon SArmy

Garfield,
Thanks for replying so quick. I do have Adobe 7.0 Pro installed. I used the
fix from the tip and link you added and it worked like a Charm.Thanks for the
help.

Gordon SArmy wrote:

When I add new AutoText entries in MS Word I can use them fine but when I
close Word and re-open it the entries are gone and I have to re-do them
again. Is there a fix for this?

Jim Palik

Hi Gordon,

In addtion to garfield's recommendation, you might want to consider the
following.

An alternative that I recommend is never save any customizations in
normal.dot. Word is too vulnerable and frequently replacing normal.dot is a
recommended repair. If this happens you will loose all customizations.

I suggest that you:

1. In word's templates directory rename or delete your normal.dot. The next
time you start word you will have a clean normal.dot. (note that all
customizations to the previous normal.dot will be detleted.

2. Copy this normal.dot to yourname.dot

3. Make any new autotext entries and keyboard shortcuts to yourname.dot.

4. Then if you want your name.dot to be the default template, delete your
normal.dot again and copy yourname.dot back to normal.dat.

However, keep yourname.dot available just in case your normal.dot becomes
corrupted or it needs to be replaced. Then, all you need to do is make a new
normal.dot from yourname.dot. This will recover all you customizations.

I also recommend that the only thing you do with yourname.dot is keep your
customizations there. If you do not open files in yourname.dot, it will never
become corrupted.

Jim

--
Never at a loss for Word

Gordon SArmy wrote:

When I add new AutoText entries in MS Word I can use them fine but when I
close Word and re-open it the entries are gone and I have to re-do them
again. Is there a fix for this?

Charles Kenyon

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news

Gordon SArmy wrote:

When I add new AutoText entries in MS Word I can use them fine but when
close Word and re-open it the entries are gone and I have to re-do them
again. Is there a fix for this?

DON'T ask if I want to save when closing a document Sig Microsoft Word Help 9 August 13th 09 04:50 PM
word prompts me to save doc when closing, even though I have not . Bruce K Microsoft Word Help 4 February 25th 05 07:34 AM
simple word question rvance New Users 8 February 1st 05 02:16 AM
Stopping Save As Dialog appearing when closing a document N. Cotton Microsoft Word Help 1 January 13th 05 09:46 PM
Autotext Headings Bryan Microsoft Word Help 4 January 6th 05 05:39 PM