Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
river river is offline

Default Corrupted TOC and unable to see/size pictures

Hi,

My Word 2003 document has gone crazy. When ever I regenerate the TOC it
inserts an image in the TOC. The image is a windows metafile diagram that I
made with Visio2003.

If I delete the image from Chapter3 (where I need this image) and regenerate
the TOC it's fine. However, as soon as I put the image back the TOC (when it
gets regenerated) will get the image in the TOC - right under the Chapter 3
Level-1 heading.

I tried different images, pictures, jpgs etc, and they all do the same. Also
whenever I put an image into the document I cannot see the image - all I see
is a white box with the resize handles. However, I cannot reszie the image or
move it. The cursor changes as though it recognises the resize dots, but
nothing happens. The only way I can actually see the image, instead of a
white box, is to go to the edit picture menu. In edit mode I can see the
image, but I still cannot resize it in edit mode. I can edit the actual pic -
but can't resize it.

I deleted the entire TOC and recreated it again, but the same thing still
occurs. I am sure the two things are related and this is now costing me time
and money as a deadline approaches.

One interesting thing I noticed is, when I toggle the field codes in the TOC
I see (where the image is within the TOC) "unexpected end of formula". If I
message there also (in place of the unexpected end of formula message) and if
I delete it the TOC is okay.

I can sort of get by with "toggle field codes, find an unusual message and
delete it" for a short period, but when I add more images I cannot see them
except for a white box, which I cannot resize or relocate. Matter of fact,
when I put in an image and get the white box, the right-click of the mouse
doesn't even have the "format picture" in the pop-up menu box.

Anyway, it's Word2003 and it's killing me here and slowing me down to a
point where my output is but a dribble. I'd be most appreciative if anyone
knows of these problems and can help me.

seeyuzz
river