Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SteveK

Default Making a Bar menu with Styles

Yesterday I posted a question about making a restaurant menu with Styles.
(thank very much for the clear answers).

Now I am on to the Bar menu. It is two columns of drinks with their prices
(in a sense four columns). So I've drawn two long vertical tables. I am
copying and pasting in the drinks and prices into the tables, one line at a
time. When I need to add tabs for the spacing of the prices to the right of
the drinks I am finding that the tab key doesn't push the number characters.
Instead it jumbs the cursor from the left table to the right table, and then
the next tab adds another table on the next page, and another tab jumbs to
the other table on the new page, and on and on. (experimenting I tried
Cntrl Tab and that does something wierd. It moves the number over a set
distance but drops the left most character with each tab jumb.)

How do I add tabs to text to format it within a table?

STeveK

SteveK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SteveK

Got it. I made a Style that included a tab to left justify the drink and
decimal tab for the price. Then with the Style I started formatting.

Problem solved.

"SteveK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The idea of using a table is that you put the items and the prices in
separate columns; you then tab from one column to the other. Either
right-align the prices or insert a decimal tab stop in the price column.

I suspect you need to learn more about how to use tables; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasics.htm

"SteveK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anne Troy

Hi, Steve. Glad to see you're using tables. Now, instead of using tabs
for the right alignment of the prices, just right-align the entire cell. You
can select the column and hit the paragraph right-align button or Ctrl+R.
And turn your show/hide button on so you can see that when you hit Ctrl+Tab,
it *does* insert a tab character.
http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm
While having that button on is uncomfortable for many people, if you can get
used to having it on, I encourage you to do so.
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
Check out the NEWsgroup stats!