Rho

Default Applying a style doesn't "take"

Basics - Using Word 2003 on XP.

Problem:
I have a fairly complicated template with styles of all types. I've made all
of the styles available on a custom toolbar. When retrofitting a document
with the template I am experiencing inconsistent behavior. I've done
everything I can think of to eliminate spurious behavior including creating a
new document based on the template and copying the content from the original
document (sans the last paragraph mark). With all that, I get inconsistent
behavior.

Background:
The template is based on forcing some design for hierarchical technical
specs. Here is the template's logic:
H1 - Heading Level 1
P1 - Level 1 prose text
B1 - Level 1 bulleted list (no sequence implied)
#1 - Level 1 numbered list (sequence)
L1 - Level 1 lettered list (sequence)
T1 - Level 1 tables
H2 - Heading Level 2
P2 - Level 2 prose text
B2 - Level 2 bulleted list (no sequence implied)
#2 - Level 2 numbered list (sequence)
L2 - Level 2 lettered list (sequence)
T2 - Level 2 tables
H3 .....etc...
The toolbar "floats" as a grid of icon buttons. I've used this for
retrofitting unstructured text for online information systems and engineering
documents. My intent is to simplify the use of styles (kind of idiot-proof
them) so authors of the documents focus on the content, not the formatting.

I first used this concept back in 1993 and have evolved it through many
companies/positions.

Fast forward to XP and Word 2003 and I get inconsistent behavior. Here is an
example. If the paragraph is normal prose text, when I click on the P1 button
to apply the Prose 1 paragraph style nothing happens. If I click B1 (Bullet
1), the style takes.

There is more funkiness and I know I am trying to subvert all of the
usability work Microsoft has put into Word for the general masses....but, ok,
so I am a bit masochistic trying to fight the tide of casual users. Anyone
have any ideas?

Much thanks in advance,

Rho
Klaus Linke

Hi Rho,

You used the built-in buttons for applying styles (Tools Customize =
"Commands" tab Category: Styles)?=20

Or do you apply styles with a macro linked to the button? If so, what is =
the code you use?

And two troubleshooting ideas:=20
-- Next time a button does not work, use ToolsCustomizeKeyboardShortcut =
(Alt + Ctrl + Num+) and click on the button. Does the dialog show =
"Style: YourStyle"?.
-- You checked that the style you're trying to apply is defined in the =
current document?
(It's not enough if you have defined it in the attached template after =
the document was created -- as I'm sure you know... just want to make =
sure)

Regards,
Klaus

"Rho" wrote:
Basics - Using Word 2003 on XP.
=20
Problem:
I have a fairly complicated template with styles of all types. I've =

made all=20
of the styles available on a custom toolbar. When retrofitting a =

document=20
with the template I am experiencing inconsistent behavior. I've done=20
everything I can think of to eliminate spurious behavior including =

creating a=20
new document based on the template and copying the content from the =

original=20
document (sans the last paragraph mark). With all that, I get =

inconsistent=20
behavior.=20
=20
Background:
The template is based on forcing some design for hierarchical =

technical=20
#2 - Level 2 numbered list (sequence)
L2 - Level 2 lettered list (sequence)
T2 - Level 2 tables
H3 .....etc...
The toolbar "floats" as a grid of icon buttons. I've used this for=20
retrofitting unstructured text for online information systems and =

engineering=20
documents. My intent is to simplify the use of styles (kind of =

idiot-proof=20
them) so authors of the documents focus on the content, not the =

formatting.
=20
I first used this concept back in 1993 and have evolved it through =

many=20
companies/positions.=20
=20
Fast forward to XP and Word 2003 and I get inconsistent behavior. Here =

is an=20
example. If the paragraph is normal prose text, when I click on the P1 =

button=20
to apply the Prose 1 paragraph style nothing happens. If I click B1 =

(Bullet=20
1), the style takes.
=20
There is more funkiness and I know I am trying to subvert all of the=20
usability work Microsoft has put into Word for the general =

masses....but, ok,=20
so I am a bit masochistic trying to fight the tide of casual users. =

Anyone=20
have any ideas?
=20
Much thanks in advance,
=20
Rho

Rho

Klaus,

Thanks for the quick response. Here are the answers to your questions...

You used the built-in buttons for applying styles (Tools Customize
"Commands" tab Category: Styles)?
YES

Or do you apply styles with a macro linked to the button?
If so, what is the code you use?
NO

And two troubleshooting ideas:
-- Next time a button does not work, use ToolsCustomizeKeyboardShortcut (Alt + Ctrl + Num+) and click on the button. Does the dialog show "Style: YourStyle"?.

WHEN I MOUSE OVER THE BUTTON IT SHOWS THE "Prose 1", THE NAME OF
THE STYLE. I AM NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE SUGGESTING.

-- You checked that the style you're trying to apply is defined in the current document?

YES

(It's not enough if you have defined it in the attached template after the document was created -- as I'm sure you know... just want to make sure)

ACTUALLY, I AM NOT SURE IF I FOLLOW YOU. THE PROSE1 STYLE WORKS
IN OTHER AREAS OF THE DOCUMENT. WHAT I FIND IS THAT A STYLE IN
THE SAME FAMILY WON'T TAKE. FOR EXAMPLE, IF THE CURRENT APPLIED
STYLE IS A PROSE1 AND IT SHOULD BE A PROSE2, THE PROSE2 DOESN'T
"TAKE", BUT A BULLET1 OR BULLET2 WILL "TAKE".

I hope this is clearer than mud.

Thanks,

Rho

"Rho" wrote:
Basics - Using Word 2003 on XP.

Problem:
I have a fairly complicated template with styles of all types. I've made all
of the styles available on a custom toolbar. When retrofitting a document
with the template I am experiencing inconsistent behavior. I've done
everything I can think of to eliminate spurious behavior including creating a
new document based on the template and copying the content from the original
document (sans the last paragraph mark). With all that, I get inconsistent
behavior.

Background:
The template is based on forcing some design for hierarchical technical
specs. Here is the template's logic:
H1 - Heading Level 1
P1 - Level 1 prose text
B1 - Level 1 bulleted list (no sequence implied)

Klaus Linke

(It's not enough if you have defined it in the attached template =
after the document was created -- as I'm sure you know... just want to =
make sure)
ACTUALLY, I AM NOT SURE IF I FOLLOW YOU. THE PROSE1 STYLE WORKS
IN OTHER AREAS OF THE DOCUMENT. WHAT I FIND IS THAT A STYLE IN
THE SAME FAMILY WON'T TAKE. FOR EXAMPLE, IF THE CURRENT APPLIED
STYLE IS A PROSE1 AND IT SHOULD BE A PROSE2, THE PROSE2 DOESN'T
"TAKE", BUT A BULLET1 OR BULLET2 WILL "TAKE".

I hope you aren't SHOUTING at me? If "Prose2" isn't defined in the =
document (=3D doesn't appear in the list of styles), it can't be =
applied. Nothing will happen if you click on the "Prose2" button. That's =
all I meant.
Sounded like the most likely explanation. If that's not it, I'm stumped =
and hope somebody else will have a clever idea!

Regards,
Klaus

Rho

Klaus,

My apologies for the appearance of SHOUTING. I was tired and was only
thinking how to may my interleaved responses stand out. sigh

Unfortunately, the styles are all there...it is just inconsistent behavior.
I suspect that there is some "special usability help" that isn't implemented
consistently or as one external to Microsoft would expect. I, too, am stumped
and am hoping someone will have stumbled across a work-around.

Cheers,

Rho

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

(It's not enough if you have defined it in the attached template after the document was created -- as I'm sure you know... just want to make sure)

ACTUALLY, I AM NOT SURE IF I FOLLOW YOU. THE PROSE1 STYLE WORKS
IN OTHER AREAS OF THE DOCUMENT. WHAT I FIND IS THAT A STYLE IN
THE SAME FAMILY WON'T TAKE. FOR EXAMPLE, IF THE CURRENT APPLIED
STYLE IS A PROSE1 AND IT SHOULD BE A PROSE2, THE PROSE2 DOESN'T
"TAKE", BUT A BULLET1 OR BULLET2 WILL "TAKE".

I hope you aren't SHOUTING at me? If "Prose2" isn't defined in the document (= doesn't appear in the list of styles), it can't be applied. Nothing will happen if you click on the "Prose2" button. That's all I meant.
Sounded like the most likely explanation. If that's not it, I'm stumped and hope somebody else will have a clever idea!

Regards,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

Hi Rho,

If you can zip up the template and two small sample docs, you can mail =
them to me, and I'll see if I can reproduce your problem.

Regards,
Klaus

"Rho" wrote:
=20
Klaus,
=20
My apologies for the appearance of SHOUTING. I was tired and was only=20
thinking how to may my interleaved responses stand out. sigh=20
=20
Unfortunately, the styles are all there...it is just inconsistent =

behavior.=20
I suspect that there is some "special usability help" that isn't =

implemented=20
consistently or as one external to Microsoft would expect. I, too, am =

stumped=20
and am hoping someone will have stumbled across a work-around.
=20
Cheers,
=20
Rho