Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hopeful Hopeful is offline

Default How to change hyperlink format to include heading number?

I'm using hyperlinks in tables that link to a description with a numbered
heading.
The formatting of the link does not include that number. I don't want to
manually enter the number in the "Text to display" since I also want the
hyperlink to change the number if other numbers are inserted before that
value.
For example, in the Insert Hyperlink dialog box, the hyperlink is to a
"Place in This Document" that is shown in the document as "1.2.3 Linked
Entry" but in the Insert Hyperlink dialog box as only "Linked Entry". It
would be great if Word could display the hyperlink as "1.2.3 Linked Entry",
and then change the hyperlink to "1.2.4 Linked Entry" if another paragraph of
1.2.3 was inserted before that entry in the document.
Can Word handle this? We previously used Framemaker and this procedure was
handled there.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aneasiertomorrow aneasiertomorrow is offline

If you are using an outline number style use cross-references instead of
hyperlinks. For more info on using them in Word 2003 see he
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/as...049391033.aspx
If you are using a different version, check help.

Lucy
--
MOS Master Instructor
South Australia

If this post answered your question please let us know as others may be
interested too

"Hopeful" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hopeful Hopeful is offline

Thanks so much for your recommendation. This info was helpful. The problems
I'm running into now include:
1. If I change the text in the field that I am referencing to (or from), the
text is not linked and I am required to re-add the link. It would be great if
I could instead, just change the text in one place, update, then have it be
changed in both places.
Instead, if I change the text of the place I referenced to, I get this
error: Error! Reference source no found.

2. I am unable to get the cross reference to show both the number of the
reference and the reference at the same time. I can show either one or the
other.

Any ideas?