Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Filby Gordon Filby is offline

Default Word 2003/Vista crashes spontaneously

Hallo,

over the last couple of days Word 2003 has developed the nasty habit of
crashing spontanesously while I'm working on a document.

It informs me that it is not working properly and is closing down and is
collecting information. It will inform me when a solution is available.
It restarts about 2-3 minutes later, but the problem continues.

I have de-installed and re-installed and downloaded the updates it
recommends, but still no improvement.

Does anyone have an idea?

Regards,

Gordon Filby
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See the following KnowledgeBase Article:

"How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010,
Word 2007, Word 2003, or Word 2002" at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/921541?p=1

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Gordon Filby" wrote in message
Hallo,

over the last couple of days Word 2003 has developed the nasty habit of
crashing spontanesously while I'm working on a document.

It informs me that it is not working properly and is closing down and is
collecting information. It will inform me when a solution is available. It
restarts about 2-3 minutes later, but the problem continues.

I have de-installed and re-installed and downloaded the updates it
recommends, but still no improvement.

Does anyone have an idea?

Regards,

Gordon Filby

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Can you narrow the problem to a particular issue that causes the crash? If
not see http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

"Gordon Filby" wrote in message
Hallo,

over the last couple of days Word 2003 has developed the nasty habit of
crashing spontanesously while I'm working on a document.

It informs me that it is not working properly and is closing down and is
collecting information. It will inform me when a solution is available. It
restarts about 2-3 minutes later, but the problem continues.

I have de-installed and re-installed and downloaded the updates it
recommends, but still no improvement.

Does anyone have an idea?

Regards,

Gordon Filby

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 20.05.2010 07:04, Graham Mayor wrote:
Can you narrow the problem to a particular issue that causes the crash? If
not see http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Hello,

No, sometimes it is when I'm in the middle of a document, Other times not.

Just now I started word from its directory, it starts in page layout
with 50% page size. It is stable, at least for ca 10 mins. When I then
close down using the close icon (top right corner, white cross) it
crashes and the whole rigmarole starts again ("word is not functioning
properly....it may take a few mins.....Word is collecting ......Word is
restarting")

** I'm using the German language version so the translations may not be
identical to yours.

I don't feel proficient enough to start tinkering with the registry. Do
you think simply de/reinstalling might work? I have already done this
but I have reason to believe it didn't work out as much more of my
data/settings apparently remained intact than I'd imagined after this
process.

Grateful for any assistance

Gordon Filby
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Re-installing rarely achieves anything useful as the core program is rarely
the issue. It is almost invariably user settings in files and the registry
that screw things up.
You could start by renaming the normal template, temporarily removing any
add-ins, re-install the printer driver, but you may have to delete or rename
the data key in the registry to fix it. If you don't feel confident about
manually deleting the data key then copy and paste the following three lines
to Notepad (the second line is empty) and save as datadelete.reg. Then, with
Word and Outlook closed, from Windows Explorer right click that file and
select 'merge' .

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data]

If while testing the program crashes then start again with
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 25.05.2010 13:34, Graham Mayor wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip - delete DATA

Worked fine and apparently (it's early days) nothing important lost!

Many thanks for your advice - it ended 3 weeks of frustration!

Gordon Filby