cplettner cplettner is offline
Junior Member

Default Merge using Excel...formulas not recalculating when data source is edited

Hi all this is my first post on this forum. I'm trying to do a rather complex mail merge that uses an excel file as the data source. I multiple merge fields that are dependent on the value of other merge fields and some calculations that the excel file does. For example...

I have a "Prorate_Rent" field which (in the excel data source) is calculated using the "Rent", "Lease_Starte_Date" merge fields. These calculations I think are beyond what I can perform with those individual merge fields in word.

All the calculations work as expected, and the fields merge correctly, but if I (in Word) edit the Data Source (say I change the rent, which should change the prorate amount) the "Prorate_Rent" field does not reflect the change.

If I exit out of word, go into my excel list, make the change, save and exit, and relaunch my mail merge document the field is updated as expected.

My question is this ... is there any way to force the excel data source to recalculate while it is being used in a merge?