Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rich Kooyer Rich Kooyer is offline

Default "Confirm Conversion on Open" Option

I tried to set this option on my normal.dot in Word 2003. I opened up and
did some owrk in other documents and closed MS Word. I opened Word (w/o
another file) and the option was unchecked once again. Is there a way to be
sure that this option stays checked for every document? Or is it document
specific? Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It should stay set. This seems to indicate that something is inhibiting
normal.dot from saving changes. Try changing the default font by using
Format, Font, select a different font or size and press the DEFAULT button.
Close Word. Now open it: is the font correct to the new default?

If not, check what third party add-ins you have installed: note that Adobe
is one of the biggest providers of add-ins that screw Word.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Rich Kooyer" wrote in message
I tried to set this option on my normal.dot in Word 2003. I opened up and
did some owrk in other documents and closed MS Word. I opened Word (w/o
another file) and the option was unchecked once again. Is there a way to
be
sure that this option stays checked for every document? Or is it document
specific? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rich Kooyer Rich Kooyer is offline

Hello Terry,

I tried to change my font to Trebuchet MS. I closed the current blank
format and did a ctrl+N to create a new one. Trebuchet MS was my font.
Opened multiple copies and Trebuchet MS was still my default font. I closed
out of Word, waited 30 seconds and reopened. The new normal.DOT opened with
Times New Roman 12. Opened three new blank documents and they were all Times
New Roman 12.

I am in a large corporate environment with network settings as thick as a
London fog in February. Not trying to make excuses, maybe another part of
the puzzle.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

A corporate environment!

Sounds suspiciously like you have a third party add-in that is blocking
normal.dot from being saved. Look for add-ins in the Word Start-up folder
and under Tools, Templates and Add-ins to see what has been installed.
Almost certainly one of them is too clever by half.

Terry

news

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Although...the specific option in question is application specific and
stored in the Registry and not the Normal template. :-)

I could be the corporate environment is preventing changes in the Registry
to be saved which is fairly typical.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out: