Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Brooce Brooce is offline

Default How do I set up the address for window envelopes

I have trouble working out where to locate the address on an A4 document so
that it will show up in the window of a standard window envelope
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I set up the address for window envelopes

Setting up the address for window envelopes
  1. Measure the size of the window on your envelope.
  2. Open a new Word document and go to the Page Layout tab. Click on Margins and select Narrow or Custom Margins.
  3. Go to the Insert tab and click on Text Box. Choose the Simple Text Box option and draw a box on the page where you want the address to appear.
  4. Type the address into the text box. You can format the text as needed, such as changing the font or size.
  5. Click on the text box to select it, then go to the Format tab. Click on Wrap Text and select In Front of Text.
  6. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard or click and drag the text box to position it within the margins of the page. Make sure it is aligned with the window of the envelope.
  7. Print a test page to make sure the address is positioned correctly within the window of the envelope. Adjust the position of the text box as needed.

That's it! With these simple steps, you can set up the address for window envelopes in Microsoft Word. Happy mailing!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You usually have to experiment a bit.

For starters, imagine that the top left corner of the paper will go /very
nearly in the top left coner of the envelope. Then measure from the top of
the envelope to the top of the window, and from the left hand side of the
envelope to the left hand side of the window. Here, the measurements are
around 5.5cm from the top and 2cm from the left.

Put a Word frame on your A4 page at 5.5 cm from the top of the page and 2cm
from the left of the page. (To insert a frame, you can go into Word
Tools|Customize, selct Category All Commands, locate InsertFrame in the List
of Commands and drag it to a toolbar or menu. Then click it. (In Word 2007,
start with Office Button|Word options|Customize, select All Commands in the
dropdown, then locate Insert Frame/Insert Horizontal Frame and drag it to
the right hand column, which represents the buttons in the Quick Access
Toolbar (QAT)).

Beyond that, it's really a question of folding. As long as you get the
horizontal positioning correct, you can always arrange that you can make two
folds in the paper to position the address where the window is. The key is
to experiment a bit so that you can always fold the same way and so that the
letter does not slide around in the envelope. (If you fold exactly into 3
you may find the paper can move around a bit).

The main drawback I've found with Window envelopes are long address
(particularly in the UK where people sometimes give you addresses with their
name, house name, street name, locality, "Near" somewhere, and so on. But
they seem to be fairly rare and there's usually a way of making them
shorter.

Peter Jamieson

"Brooce" wrote in message
I have trouble working out where to locate the address on an A4 document so
that it will show up in the window of a standard window envelope

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It helps if you fold up a piece of paper, insert it in the envelope then
draw around the hole (remove any cellophane first). Remove the paper from
the envelope and use a ruler to transfer the measurements to your template.