Tom

Default paste special - unformatted text

Suggestion: allow users to make unformatted text default setting for paste
command. That is, why should users have to go to paste special or even make
macros to simply paste text?

Is the demand for unformatted text not very high? Seems like everyone I know
goes to paste special a lot only because they have to. Is it very difficult
and time consuming to move unformatted text format out of paste special and
into default paste command? Or maybe not rewarding enough?

Anyways, thanks for listening.

Tom

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Klaus Linke

Hi Tom,

You can change the behaviour with a macro:

Sub EditPaste()
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdFormatPlainText)
Exit Sub
ErrHandler:
WordBasic.EditPaste
End Sub

Since it's called "EditPaste", it'll run instead of the built-in command.
Unfortunately, you'll loose the smart tag in Word2003 that allows you to
change the pasted text to "Keep original formatting" or "Use destination
formatting" after you pasted.

So I'd add to your suggestion that this issue gets fixed, and
Selection.PasteAndFormat shows the smart tag (... and WordBasic.EditPaste
does, too).

Until it's fixed, I would rename the above macro to "myEditPaste" and assign
a different keyboard shortcut to it. That way, you'll still be able to paste
as formatted text -- keeping the original formatting or using the destination
formatting -- if you want to.

Regards,
Klaus

Why does the paste unformatted text function not work in macros? SeanWhit Microsoft Word Help 3 July 11th 05 08:50 PM
shortcut key for paste special > unformatted text Mike B Microsoft Word Help 1 February 3rd 05 11:08 PM
How can I change the default on "paste special" to "unformatted"? dhans Microsoft Word Help 1 January 24th 05 01:28 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Is paste special the only way to insert unformatted text Lucian Sitwell Microsoft Word Help 3 December 15th 04 08:40 PM