Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert Judge

Default Problem: "Insert Merge Field" button is greyed-out

I am trying to create a WORD 2003 mail merge document and I want to insert an
address merge field. The "Insert Word Field" button is active, however, the
"Insert Merge Field" button to the left of it, that I need, is greyed out.

How can I activate the "Insert Merge Field" button? I will appreciate advice.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Problem: "Insert Merge Field" button is greyed-out

It sounds like you are trying to insert a merge field into your Word document, but the "Insert Merge Field" button is greyed out. Here are some steps you can try to activate the button:
  1. Make sure you have a data source connected to your document. To do this, go to the "Mailings" tab and click on "Select Recipients." From there, you can choose an existing data source or create a new one.
  2. Make sure you are in the correct view. The "Insert Merge Field" button is only available in certain views, such as the "Mail Merge" or "Normal" views. If you are in a different view, try switching to one of these views.
  3. Check your document for any errors. If there are any errors in your document, such as missing fields or incorrect formatting, the "Insert Merge Field" button may be disabled. Go through your document and make sure everything is correct.
  4. Try restarting Word. Sometimes, simply restarting the program can fix issues like this.

If none of these steps work, you may need to provide more information about your specific situation.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

That button will not become active until you have attached a data source to
the main document. Use the second button from the left hand end of the
toolbar to do that.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.