Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Approx# Approx# is offline

Default Align a column of equations at the equal sign

In equation editor in Word 2003 I used to be able to create a column of
equations aligned at the equal sign. I cannot find this feature in Word 2007.
Can anyone help me with this?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Align a column of equations at the equal sign

Yes, you can still align a column of equations at the equal sign in Word 2007. Here's how:
  1. Open a new or existing document in Word 2007.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Equation" button in the "Symbols" section of the ribbon.
  4. In the Equation Tools ribbon that appears, click on the "Align" button.
  5. Select "Align at = " from the drop-down menu.
  6. Type your first equation and press the "Tab" key to move to the next column.
  7. Type your second equation and press "Tab" again to move to the next column.
  8. Repeat this process for as many columns as you need.
  9. When you're finished, click on the "Close" button in the Equation Tools ribbon.

Your equations should now be aligned at the equal sign. If you need to make any adjustments, you can click on the "Align" button again and select a different alignment option.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Approx# wrote:
In equation editor in Word 2003 I used to be able to create a column
of equations aligned at the equal sign. I cannot find this feature in
Word 2007. Can anyone help me with this?

After each equation in the group (except the last), press Shift+Enter
instead of Enter to start the next equation. When the group is complete,
select the whole group, right-click, and choose "Align at =".

You can also go one equation at a time, selecting any character (not
necessarily the equal sign), right-clicking, and choosing "Align at this
character".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John B. Willett John B. Willett is offline

Jay Freedman wrote:
After each equation in the group (except the last), press Shift+Enter
instead of Enter to start the next equation. When the group is complete,
select the whole group, right-click, and choose "Align at =".

I tried this and was able to create the multiple equations, but after I
selected all of them and right-clicked, i was not offered the option "align
at =." When I tried you second option of going into each equation and
nominating the "=" sign as the alignment character, the equations did not
line up. do you have any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John B. Willett[_2_] John B. Willett[_2_] is offline

Actually, Jay, I managed to get it to work now, but it seems quite quirky.
For instance, it doesnt align on the = sign when both equations are centered
on the page, only when they are at the left margin. Plus, once they are
aligned at the left margin, you cannot tab them over into the middle of the
page.

The old equation editor didnt seem to have these problems -- is there a
manual someplace on line that I can read?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Approx# wrote:
In equation editor in Word 2003 I used to be able to create a column
of equations aligned at the equal sign. I cannot find this feature in
Word 2007. Can anyone help me with this?

After each equation in the group (except the last), press Shift+Enter
instead of Enter to start the next equation. When the group is complete,
select the whole group, right-click, and choose "Align at =".

You can also go one equation at a time, selecting any character (not
necessarily the equal sign), right-clicking, and choosing "Align at this
character".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

is there a manual someplace on line that I can read?

It seems that this time around, formal documentation has been replaced by
blogs. :-(

Well, not really, but the best information about the new equation editor is
on Murray Sargent's blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/murrays/. There's also some
in the Word Team's blog, such as
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...Word-2007.aspx.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Approx# wrote:
In equation editor in Word 2003 I used to be able to create a column
of equations aligned at the equal sign. I cannot find this feature
in Word 2007. Can anyone help me with this?

After each equation in the group (except the last), press Shift+Enter
instead of Enter to start the next equation. When the group is
complete, select the whole group, right-click, and choose "Align at
=".

You can also go one equation at a time, selecting any character (not
necessarily the equal sign), right-clicking, and choosing "Align at
this character".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John B. Willett[_2_] John B. Willett[_2_] is offline

Thanks, Jay, knowing the location of the blogs -- particularly the microsoft
one -- is very useful. I have tabbed your post as "helpful."