Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Confused Excel User Confused Excel User is offline

Default Hightlight Text is uneditable

When I have some text hightlighted, normally I can start typing and replace
the existing text or hit backspace and have the text cleared out, but that is
not happening. When I do either one the cusor is move in front of the first
highlighted character.

This is occuring in Outlook as well. I delete the Normal.dot and that did
not help.

Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
robextol robextol is offline

Go to Tools|Options and click on the Edit tab. Put a check in the box for
"Typing Replaces Selection" and click Ok. That should fix it.

My computer seems to randomly uncheck this box so I have to go in every
couple weeks and re-check it. I'm not sure why it does this.

Rob

"Confused Excel User" wrote:

When I have some text hightlighted, normally I can start typing and replace
the existing text or hit backspace and have the text cleared out, but that is
not happening. When I do either one the cusor is move in front of the first
highlighted character.

This is occuring in Outlook as well. I delete the Normal.dot and that did
not help.

Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It changes because a small bug (in Word 2003 particularly) causes Word to
lose random settings from the Word data Settings key in the registry. users
do not all experience the same losses, so it is difficult to locate the
cause. You can overcome the problem of any settings changing by applying
them to all new and opened documents with an autonew and an autoopen macro
in normal.dot. For this particular issue. Those macros should contain the
line:

Options.FormatScanning = False

"Confused Excel User" wrote:

When I have some text hightlighted, normally I can start typing and
replace the existing text or hit backspace and have the text cleared
out, but that is not happening. When I do either one the cusor is
move in front of the first highlighted character.

This is occuring in Outlook as well. I delete the Normal.dot and
that did not help.

Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Oops! That's what comes of answering questions before breakfast - my brain
hasn't woken yet and I was still answering the previous question

The correct line for this issue is

Options.ReplaceSelection = True