Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bigk bigk is offline

Default Assign Keystroke to Style

I am trying to assign a keystroke to the default styles in Word's Normal
template. I want to hit ALT+H for heading one and ALT+T for Title, and
ALT+N for the normal. When I do it I get an error that says, "Word cannot
change the function of the specified key." Why? And how can I fix this to
work. I am using the beta 2 of 2007.

--
BigK wrote this ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Create a macro to assign the styles and assign your keystrokes to that
macro.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bigk" wrote in message
I am trying to assign a keystroke to the default styles in Word's Normal
template. I want to hit ALT+H for heading one and ALT+T for Title, and
ALT+N for the normal. When I do it I get an error that says, "Word cannot
change the function of the specified key." Why? And how can I fix this to
work. I am using the beta 2 of 2007.

--
BigK wrote this ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, Alt+Ctrl+1 is the built-in shortcut for Heading 1 (same with 2 and 3
for Headings 2 and 3), and Ctrl+Shift+N for Normal. Because Alt is used as a
menu accelerator, I imagine that 2007 does not allow you to use it alone
with letters for user-defined keyboard shortcuts.

"Bigk" wrote in message
I am trying to assign a keystroke to the default styles in Word's Normal
template. I want to hit ALT+H for heading one and ALT+T for Title, and
ALT+N for the normal. When I do it I get an error that says, "Word cannot
change the function of the specified key." Why? And how can I fix this

work. I am using the beta 2 of 2007.

--
BigK wrote this ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bigk bigk is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
FWIW, Alt+Ctrl+1 is the built-in shortcut for Heading 1 (same with 2 and 3
for Headings 2 and 3), and Ctrl+Shift+N for Normal. Because Alt is used as
menu accelerator, I imagine that 2007 does not allow you to use it alone
with letters for user-defined keyboard shortcuts.

That's great. Thanks for the heads up on the other keyboard shortcuts. In
Word 2003 and earlier I always gave it ALT+N, etc.

Why are they not listed in the keystroke dialogue for that style? Maybe
because its beta?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure how complete the Help file in Word 2007 is, but in Word 2003,
if you look at the Help topic "Keyboard shortcuts," they're in the "Apply
paragraph styles" section of "Character and paragraph formatting." I'm not
sure why these keyboard shortcuts are not listed with the styles in Tools |
Customize | Keyboard (in Word 2003), but if you enter any of the shortcuts
in the Keyboard dialog (to be applied to another command), the "Current
applied to" does show those styles.