Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Track changes: Moves

There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Is your document in 97-2003 format? Then that explains why. Special marking
of €śmoves€ť is not supported in Word 2003 and earlier. You should see the
marking of €śmoves€ť correctly in documents in 2007 format.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"grammatim" wrote:

There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On May 30, 6:54*pm, Lene Fredborg
wrote:
Is your document in 97-2003 format?

Of course not! (And the option isn't available in Compatibility Mode.)

Then that explains why. Special marking
of “moves” is not supported in Word 2003 and earlier. You should see the
marking of “moves” correctly in documents in 2007 format.

--

"grammatim" wrote:
There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 30 May 2009 15:39:23 -0700 (PDT), grammatim
wrote:

There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?

According to
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...word-2007.aspx,
"In Word 2007, Track Changes now includes 'move tracking'. If you cut a sentence
or more from one location and paste it to another, it is tracked as a move and
not as a deletion and insertion."

The criterion is apparently "one sentence or more". This seems to be open to
interpretation; for example, if I move a one-word heading including its
paragraph mark, that's tracked as a move.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I tried it with a paragraph. Not only did it wipe out the existing
Tracked Changes (simply presenting the final version as an insertion),
it treated it as deleted and inserted.

According tohttp://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2006/10/13/nice-m...,
"In Word 2007, Track Changes now includes 'move tracking'. If you cut a sentence
or more from one location and paste it to another, it is tracked as a move and
not as a deletion and insertion."

The criterion is apparently "one sentence or more". This seems to be open to
interpretation; for example, if I move a one-word heading including its
paragraph mark, that's tracked as a move.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If there were _no tracked changes_ in the moved sentence, it changes
to green in both places when it's pasted.

That's not useful!

wrote:

There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?

According tohttp://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2006/10/13/nice-m...,
"In Word 2007, Track Changes now includes 'move tracking'. If you cut a sentence
or more from one location and paste it to another, it is tracked as a move and
not as a deletion and insertion."

The criterion is apparently "one sentence or more". This seems to be open to
interpretation; for example, if I move a one-word heading including its
paragraph mark, that's tracked as a move.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Track changes: Moves: Major bug

Once something has been tracked as a Move, it cannot be rejected.
Selecting text that's green gives you the check and x for accept and
reject, but they have no effect; attempting to drag a double-
struckthrough passage simply gives the "This text is marked as
deleted" message.

The only way to undo a Move is via Undo -- and if some editing has
been done since the move, it of course all goes away, too.

I will therefore be unchecking "Keep track of moves" ...

wrote:

There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?

According tohttp://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2006/10/13/nice-m...,
"In Word 2007, Track Changes now includes 'move tracking'. If you cut a sentence
or more from one location and paste it to another, it is tracked as a move and
not as a deletion and insertion."

The criterion is apparently "one sentence or more". This seems to be open to
interpretation; for example, if I move a one-word heading including its
paragraph mark, that's tracked as a move.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.-- Hide quoted text -

Cursor moves after alt-f9 BruceBrad Microsoft Word Help 6 December 20th 14 11:36 AM
Table Moves! Erin Microsoft Word Help 1 November 21st 08 09:00 PM
Toolbar moves donna Microsoft Word Help 0 August 31st 06 04:34 PM
curser moves text Larry Microsoft Word Help 11 May 1st 05 10:03 PM
cursor moves oopstrinity Microsoft Word Help 1 December 20th 04 03:07 AM