gayle

Default how do I create a 5.5" x 8.5" template

How do I create a book that is 5.5" x 8.5". I already have it typed in the
standard 8.5" x 11. Top and bottom margins have to be 1.85 and left and
right 2.15

If you're sending the book to a commercial printer or publisher to be
printed, just increase the margins of the Letter-sized page to create the
5.5" x 8.5" page in the center, as the printer/publisher will want separate
pages. If you're planning to copy/print it yourself, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm

"gayle" wrote in message
How do I create a book that is 5.5" x 8.5". I already have it typed in

the
standard 8.5" x 11. Top and bottom margins have to be 1.85 and left and
right 2.15

gayle

I have the margins correct now, but the page numbers are all at the bottom of
each page out of the required range. I need to delete them and figure out
how to get the numbers within the 5.5" x 8.5". It is coming out like the
page is 11" long. Thanks.

"gayle" wrote in message
How do I create a book that is 5.5" x 8.5". I already have it typed in

the
standard 8.5" x 11. Top and bottom margins have to be 1.85 and left and
right 2.15

SVC

Following Suzanne's advice, you probably have set your margins at 1.5" on
left and right and 1.25" on top and bottom to create your page in the middle
of the standard page. You can create a footer on this page by increasing the
footer margin to be greater than 1.25", which will allow you to put your page
number within your 5.5 X 8 page.

Alternately, you could use a text box in the header/footer and position the
text box where you would like it in your page, then add the page number to
the textbox..

"gayle" wrote in message
How do I create a book that is 5.5" x 8.5". I already have it typed in

the
standard 8.5" x 11. Top and bottom margins have to be 1.85 and left and
right 2.15

You need to increase your Header and Footer margins as well as the Top,
Bottom, Left, and Right. And instead of using Insert | Page Numbers (though
this should work correctly after you've set the Header/Footer margins
appropriately), use the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer
toolbar, working in the Footer pane. For more on this, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm. For tips on safely
getting rid of the existing page number, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you're sending the book to a commercial printer or publisher to be
printed, just increase the margins of the Letter-sized page to create

the
5.5" x 8.5" page in the center, as the printer/publisher will want

separate
pages. If you're planning to copy/print it yourself, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"gayle" wrote in message
How do I create a book that is 5.5" x 8.5". I already have it typed

in
the
standard 8.5" x 11. Top and bottom margins have to be 1.85 and left

and
right 2.15

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do I create a 5.5" x 8.5" template

To create a 5.5" x 8.5" template in Microsoft Word, you can follow these steps:
  1. Open a new Word document.
  2. Click on the "Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Size" and then select "More Paper Sizes" at the bottom of the dropdown menu.
  4. In the "Page Setup" window that appears, enter 5.5" for the width and 8.5" for the height.
  5. Set the margins to 1.85" for the top and bottom, and 2.15" for the left and right.
  6. Click "OK" to save the changes and close the window.

To copy and paste your existing content into this new template, you can follow these steps:
  1. Open your existing document that is typed in the standard 8.5" x 11" size.
  2. Select all of the text by pressing "Ctrl+A" on your keyboard.
  3. Copy the text by pressing "Ctrl+C" on your keyboard.
  4. Switch to the new document that you created with the 5.5" x 8.5" template.
  5. Paste the text by pressing "Ctrl+V" on your keyboard.

Your text should now be pasted into the new template with the correct margins and size. You may need to adjust the font size or spacing to make sure it fits well on the smaller page size.