Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BHostler BHostler is offline

Default My menu bar is missing when I open any document.

For some reason when I open any saved document my menu bar is missing. So I
do not have access to the file menu, view menu, tools menu, etc. When I try
to create a new document it is there though. I know I can go into customize
and reset it to have the menu bar there again. But, that is a hassle to do
everytime I open a document. Because when I close it and then reopen a doc it
is missing again. Is there anyway to make the menu bar show up all of the
time again because it used to work like that but apparently I did something
to screw that up?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BHostler BHostler is offline

Thank you. By going to START then RUN and typing winword.exe /a I can open
the docs with the file menu at the top. But if I just double click on a
document out of the "My Documents" folder for instance I still have the file
menu missing at the top. Is there anyway to fix this or do I just have to
open word through the RUN screen everytime?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BHostler wrote:
For some reason when I open any saved document my menu bar is
missing. So I do not have access to the file menu, view menu, tools
menu, etc. When I try to create a new document it is there though. I
know I can go into customize and reset it to have the menu bar there
again. But, that is a hassle to do everytime I open a document.
Because when I close it and then reopen a doc it is missing again. Is
there anyway to make the menu bar show up all of the time again
because it used to work like that but apparently I did something to
screw that up?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Using the /a switch is only a troubleshooting step to determine where
the problem is. Now you have to do the rest of the steps in the same
article. Read all the way through the whole thing first, so you know
what you need to do.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BHostler wrote:
For some reason when I open any saved document my menu bar is
missing. So I do not have access to the file menu, view menu, tools
menu, etc. When I try to create a new document it is there though. I
know I can go into customize and reset it to have the menu bar there
again. But, that is a hassle to do everytime I open a document.
Because when I close it and then reopen a doc it is missing again. Is
there anyway to make the menu bar show up all of the time again
because it used to work like that but apparently I did something to
screw that up?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BHostler BHostler is offline

Ok. I read all the steps and deleted the registry file. After deleting I
reopened word and still hae the same problem. But again when I open / a
switch it works fine. I don't get it. Any other ideas? Just to be clear I am
using word 2003. I even tried a few days ago to delete office and reinstall
it. That didnt work either.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BHostler wrote:
For some reason when I open any saved document my menu bar is
missing. So I do not have access to the file menu, view menu, tools
menu, etc. When I try to create a new document it is there though. I
know I can go into customize and reset it to have the menu bar there
again. But, that is a hassle to do everytime I open a document.
Because when I close it and then reopen a doc it is missing again. Is
there anyway to make the menu bar show up all of the time again
because it used to work like that but apparently I did something to
screw that up?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Although the article hasn't been revised since Office XP (2002), I hope you
made the association of Office versions and Data keys, and properly deleted
the key for Office 2003 which is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data

If that's what you did, then the only other thing I know of that might be
affecting Word -- and this is a long shot -- is a third-party add-in that
might be misbehaving. Read
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...sInstalled.htm to
find out where to look for them.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BHostler wrote:
For some reason when I open any saved document my menu bar is
missing. So I do not have access to the file menu, view menu,
tools menu, etc. When I try to create a new document it is there
though. I know I can go into customize and reset it to have the
menu bar there again. But, that is a hassle to do everytime I
open a document. Because when I close it and then reopen a doc it
is missing again. Is there anyway to make the menu bar show up
all of the time again because it used to work like that but
apparently I did something to screw that up?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BHostler BHostler is offline

I deleted the right registry key and it did not work. I tried deleting the
only add-in that I found and it also did not work. Any other ideas?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BHostler wrote:
For some reason when I open any saved document my menu bar is
missing. So I do not have access to the file menu, view menu,
tools menu, etc. When I try to create a new document it is there
though. I know I can go into customize and reset it to have the
menu bar there again. But, that is a hassle to do everytime I
open a document. Because when I close it and then reopen a doc it
is missing again. Is there anyway to make the menu bar show up
all of the time again because it used to work like that but
apparently I did something to screw that up?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Sorry, no, that's the whole bag of tricks. The things that are
suppressed by the /a switch are the Normal.dot template, the add-ins,
and the Data key.

There is another article,
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...514521033.aspx, that
explains more about searching for add-ins, not all of which are
necessarily in the Startup folder. You might find one that was
overlooked before.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BHostler wrote:
For some reason when I open any saved document my menu bar is
missing. So I do not have access to the file menu, view menu,
tools menu, etc. When I try to create a new document it is there
though. I know I can go into customize and reset it to have the
menu bar there again. But, that is a hassle to do everytime I
open a document. Because when I close it and then reopen a doc it
is missing again. Is there anyway to make the menu bar show up
all of the time again because it used to work like that but
apparently I did something to screw that up?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

tool menu missing on main menu bar in microsoft word office 2003 Stuart Microsoft Word Help 2 October 1st 07 12:31 AM
.application needed to open this document missing - where to find Atitus Microsoft Word Help 6 September 20th 07 01:50 AM
Missing menu Dan Microsoft Word Help 2 March 2nd 07 06:02 AM
Open Command on the dropdown File Menu Bar is missing? mapis Microsoft Word Help 1 October 12th 06 03:19 PM
Word Menu Bar missing Edit Menu Juana Cafe Microsoft Word Help 1 February 10th 05 09:05 PM