Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mainship Mainship is offline

Default Mailmerge with a query

I need to create a mailmerge using Word 2007 and SQL Server 2005. The
database table has close to 5000 records in it. At any given time, I
only need to merge about a twelfth of them. Trying to load all the
records takes a very long time.

I've seen references in books of connecting to a query instead of a
table. That would solve my problem. I can create queries, but they
aren't displayed as an option - only the tables are. How do I create a
query so that I can select it as the datasource?

--
Mainship
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and place a check mark against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. Then
when you attach the data source to the mail merge main document, a dialog
box will appear asking for the method by which the connection should be
made. Try the different options. The DDE one will probably allow you to
see the queries.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.