Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Andy is offline

Default How do I get a character (e.g. q) with a dot above it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Advance field can do it for you. Choose Insert - Field and look for
Advance.

Using a 12-point font, the following seems to do it, but you might need to
experiment with the u and l values to get it exactly right:

q{ ADVANCE \l 4 \u 7 }.

The advance field (press Ctrl+F9 to insert the {} field braces) positions
the character that follows them using different switches. \l moves the
character to the left, and \u moves it up. So, the field shown here moves
the following character (a period in this case) 4 points to the left and 7
points up, which should be somewhere in the neighborhood above the q... at
least when using a 12 point Calibri font.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A mathematical symbol, or an accented letter for e.g. Polish?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Andy is offline

It's a mathematical symbol.

I think the reply from Herb has solved my problem.
Thanks for replying anyway.

"grammatim" wrote:

A mathematical symbol, or an accented letter for e.g. Polish?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Andy is offline

Thanks for your help Herb.
I think it's solved my problem.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use the Equation Editor to produce it as well. Using the equation
editor can be kind of clunky if it's just the single dotted q in isolation,
but is the way to go if the dotted q is part of a larger mathematical
expression.

--

"grammatim" wrote:

On Apr 16, 6:31 am, Andy wrote:

A mathematical symbol, or an accented letter for e.g. Polish?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Andy,

You can use an EQ field coded as {EQ \o (.,q)}. To achieve the desired result, superscript the dot and subscript the q.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you do it that way, your letter will be much smaller than the
surrounding text. You can use the Overstrike field as macropod shows,
but then raise the period on the second panel of Format Font, or if
that isn't precise enough, by nesting another field that moves a
character up/down without changing its size; if the dot should be
bigger than a period (I think it should?), then use the centered dot
character rather than the period character.

If you wanted to put a dot over a letter (as in Polish or Latvian
[IIRC]) and don't have a font with Polish or Latvian characters, you
can go to the "combining diacritics" part of a well-endowed font like
Tahoma and find the correct diacritic. (Once it's in your text, you
can try changing it to the font you're actually using. If the
character doesn't happen to be there, it'll stay Tahoma.)