Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim K

Default Wandering text box

I added a text box to a full page of text in a very long document . The box
is about 4" square and is positioned at the top right of the print portion of
the page (not in the margins). Before filling the box I set the attribute to
have the text wrap around the box which occurred quite nicely.

I then set the focus to the interior of the box and attempted to add a .jpg
image in the box using InsertPictureFrom File...[ref to .jpg file].

The picture goes in just fine but the text box jumps to the prior page. I
cannot move the box back to the original location as it always jumps to the
prior page.

I have tried turning off the move with text attribute. I have tried
assigning an absolute location, and in fact I've twiddled every attribute on
the format text box advanced options.

Why does this occur and how can I prevent this action?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim K

Hello Suzanne,

I do know that, but there is also a figure label under the picture, and to
keep both of them together it seems appropriate to enclose both of them in
the text box.

I have in the past used a table two elements tall and one wide for this and
flowed the text around the table, but that has other problems...

I really would like to solve this problem.

Thanks!

"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that if you are going to want to generate a table of figures, Word will
not see a caption in a text box. A frame is more suitable for this purpose.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, to begin with, you do not need a text box to insert a wrapped

picture.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim K

Good morning Suzanne,

Yes I do understand that problem. I am not planning to do a table of figures
for this book as the document has over 400 of them that would make the table
at least 8 pages long and at the cost of printing today, it is not worth it.
In other books I've used frames as you suggest and that works OK.

Any ideas on why the box wanders when it is filled?

Thanks.

"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Any wrapped object is anchored to a text paragraph and will move with it.
Although you can specify its position on the page, it will appear on the
same page as the paragraph it is anchored to. Beyond that, the positioning
of wrapped graphics is a mystery to me, which is why I avoid them insofar as
possible. Unless I absolutely, positively have to wrap text around graphics,
I usually leave them and their captions inline (with whichever is above
formatted as "Keep with next") or put them in a borderless table cell.

"Jim K" wrote in message
I added a text box to a full page of text in a very long document

..
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim K

Hello Suzanne,

This problem has rather piqued my interest and I've been playing around with
it.

One of the characteristics of the problem is that when I add the image to
the text box it may or may not be a bit bigger than the box thus causing the
box to expand as the image is added. If expansion is necessary, AND if there
is any other text box with an anchor point on a paragraph that gets resized
as the box grows, then the box with the image will jump around. A bit of
playing has found that if TWO OR MORE other text boxes have the same anchor
point on the paragraph that gets resized, the box to be filled may move
multiple pages in any direction.

The trick is first to check other nearbly text boxes (before adding the
image) to see if any anchor points are on paragraphs that might be resized.
If so, then move those anchor points. That works most of the time (say 80%)
but there are still some pernicious cases for which that process does not
work, but I've not yet figured out why (and have given up trying).

The SURE FIRE way is to add the empty text box in the approximate size. The
set the attributes of the anchor point to "LOCKED", remove the "MOVE WITH
TEXT" and then add the image. The box never moves and the text reforms around
the newly sized boxed without a problem. Then go and unlock the anchor point.

Rather a painful process. It would seem to me that Microsoft rather blew
this implementation. If one turns off the "Move with text" attribute of the
anchor point, the anchor should be at a fixed location on the page (say the
upper left corner) and if the text is changed, the is no problem.

Also note that Publisher has no problem in this area. Do the Word engineers
ever talk with the Publisher engineers? If not, they should.

Thanks for you input on this problem. I've beaten it to death at this point
and will move back to writing my book.

Happy Holidays!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Note that if you are going to want to generate a table of figures, Word

will
not see a caption in a text box. A frame is more suitable for this

purpose.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news Hello Suzanne,

"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word and Publisher are different programs, designed for different purposes.
Text boxes do not ordinarily resize when text or images are inserted. If
yours are doing so, then you must have "Resize AutoShape to fit text"
checked on the Text Box tab of Format Text Box. Clearing this check box
should help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Note that if you are going to want to generate a table of figures,

Word
will
not see a caption in a text box. A frame is more suitable for this

purpose.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news Hello Suzanne,