Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SEF SEF is offline

Default Word 2007 "Contacting the server for Information. Press ESC to can

Word 2007s "Contacting the server for Information. Press ESC to cancel."
feature frequency is making editing my document painful at best. A task that
should take 15 minutes to work on is literally increasing this task to over
an hour due to the frequency of this €ścontacting the server for information€ť.
It takes three to four minutes to perform the update and is occurring every 2
minutes.

I have copied the document and all external files to my local system. I
have set the default printer to a PDF writer that is installed locally.
How can I disable this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When it happens, press Escape. It really should interrupt the process, and
should not harm the document.

The usual problem is that the template attached to the document is on a
network or internet location, rather than local. In the Developer tab, click
Document Template, and click the Attach button. Navigate to a local version
of the document template, and click Open. Once saved, the problem won't
recur for that document... unless you send it out for updates and someone
else reattaches their network-accessible template to it again.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"SEF" wrote in message
Word 2007s "Contacting the server for Information. Press ESC to cancel."
feature frequency is making editing my document painful at best. A task
that
should take 15 minutes to work on is literally increasing this task to
over
an hour due to the frequency of this €ścontacting the server for
information€ť.
It takes three to four minutes to perform the update and is occurring
every 2
minutes.

I have copied the document and all external files to my local system. I
have set the default printer to a PDF writer that is installed locally.
How can I disable this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SEF SEF is offline

Default Word 2007 "Contacting the server for Information. Press ESC to

Hi Herb,

I appreciate the suggestion, but I had all ready ensured that the "Document
Template" was local.

To stop the constant and frequent request to "Word 2007s "Contacting the
server for Information. Press ESC to cancel." issue, I copied the word
document and all the include file graphs and charts to my local system. Then
manually disabled all my network connections. Once disconnected, the
annoying and painful request to connect ceased. Once I compeleted my changes,
in 5 minutes instead of hours, re-enabled my network connections and copied
the document and include files back onto the network share.

I ran into another issue where all the documents "Links to Files" do not
persist over opening, closing and opening of the document. All the charts
have been put into a subfolder from where the document path. All the links
are relative to the path of the document (i.e. charts/chart1.jpg,
charts/chart2.jpg, etc) but every time I open the document; what charts are
displayed successfully is random. All it takes to bring an image back is to
select the image, press and hold the shift key then press F9, right click the
field code, select "Edit Field code" then in the dialog box select OK.
Making no changes, but forcing a refresh. The path shown in the box is a
relative path such as charts/chart1.jpg)

Regards,
Steve

"SEF" wrote in message
Word 2007s "Contacting the server for Information. Press ESC to cancel."
feature frequency is making editing my document painful at best. A task
that
should take 15 minutes to work on is literally increasing this task to
over
an hour due to the frequency of this €ścontacting the server for
information€ť.
It takes three to four minutes to perform the update and is occurring
every 2
minutes.

I have copied the document and all external files to my local system. I
have set the default printer to a PDF writer that is installed locally.
How can I disable this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SEF SEF is offline

Hi Herb,

I appreciate the suggestion, but I had all ready ensured that the "Document
Template" was local.

To stop the constant and frequent request to "Word 2007s "Contacting the
server for Information. Press ESC to cancel." I copied the word document and
the folder with all the include file graphs and charts to my local system.
Then manually disabled all my network connections. Once disconnected, the
annoying and painful request to connect ceased. Once completed, enabled my
network connection and copied all the files back to the network.

I ran into another issue where all the documents "Links to Files" do not
persist over opening, closing and opening of the document. All the charts
have been put into a subfolder from where the document path lies. All the
links are relative to the path of the word document (i.e. charts/chart1.jpg,
charts/chart2.jpg, etc) but every time I open the document; what charts are
displayed successfully is random. All it takes to bring the image back is to