Yvonne Scott

Default File Locations / defaults

Can you please explain how to configure my settings in word, so that it will
go to the last folder I was in, by default. For example: when I go to insert
a picture from a file... I browse through my directory, find the folder and
insert the picture. The next time, I don't want to browse... I want it to go
directly to the last folder I was in to retrieve the next picture. I am
sharing a work space, all 3 of us are using the same 2003 version (open
professional version)... my computer is fine, but my two coworkers have to
browse through their directories, each and every time. I've tried using
TOOLS/OPTIONS/FILE LOCATIONS... but that is as far as I can get, and it's not
helping this problem. I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you so
much. Yvonne Scott.

If you have *any* path for "Clip art pictures" on the File Locations tab,
unfortunately, Word will always default to that folder. In order to make it
default to the last-used folder, you must delete this path, and the only way
to do that is by editing the Registry. Somewhere I have saved the
instructions for doing that, because I keep toying with the idea; ah, here
we go:

In the Registry, find the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Options folder. There
should be a PICTURE-PATH key. You can either clear the value of this key or
(I suspect) delete the key.

If you don't want to edit the Registry, just add the folder you're currently
using to the Places Bar, which makes it just one click away.