Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
r3craven r3craven is offline

Default Need to add 'total pages' to footer (ie Page 2 of 5)

Office 07: I can not find a way to add the 'total pages' number into Footer
- ie the "5" above... Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In the Insert tab, click the Page Number dropdown arrow, Bottom of Page.
Scroll down the list of choices. The first group is Simple, then Page X, and
then Page X of Y. There are 3 built-in choices.

Or... if you already have Page x, type " of " after the page number, press
Ctrl+F9 (inserts field braces {}), type numpages between the braces, and
press F9.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"r3craven" wrote in message
Office 07: I can not find a way to add the 'total pages' number into
Footer
- ie the "5" above... Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:33:00 -0700, r3craven
wrote:

Office 07: I can not find a way to add the 'total pages' number into Footer
- ie the "5" above... Please help!

Insert a NumPages field (on the Insert ribbon, click Quick Parts,
click Field, and select NumPages from the list).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hafeez Esmail Hafeez Esmail is offline

My document is a bit more complex, and I need some help.
The document contains 6 sections, and all of the page numbering is within
the footers.

Section 1: Title page + TOC
Section 2: Main document
Section 3: One page that needs to be landscape in this order
Section 4: Main document...continued
Section 5: Appendix A
Section 6: Appendix B and C which are landscape

This is how I'd like my document to be numbered.
Section 1: Title page (first page) has is counted but shows no number. Page
2 and 3 have roman numerals (ii, iii).
I have manged to do this.

Section 2: Page X of Y, starting from 1, counting until the end of Section 4.
Section 3: Same as above
Section 4: Same as above
I can get the 'Page X of ' part correctly, but getting Word to understand
what I mean by 'Y' is difficult. I'd like this to be dynamic (i.e. not
requiring me to do a manual count and stick in a number each time)

Section 5: Page A1, Page A2...etc
Section 6: Page B1, Page B2...Page C1, Page C2...etc
I don't know how to get the 'A' in front of the page number, without
manually sticking it in. Likewise with the 'B' and 'C'.

TIA
Hafeez Esmail

"r3craven" wrote in message
Office 07: I can not find a way to add the 'total pages' number into
Footer
- ie the "5" above... Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hafeez Esmail Hafeez Esmail is offline

Right......but how can I determine the total number of pages in sections 2, 3
and 4? In other words, how do I find {SECTIONPAGES} for section 2 +
{SECTIONPAGES} for section 3 + {SECTIONPAGES} for section 4?

TIA
Hafeez Esmail

"r3craven" wrote in message
Office 07: I can not find a way to add the 'total pages' number into
Footer
- ie the "5" above... Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you are numbering these sections continuously, then put a bookmark on the
last page of Section 4 and use a PAGEREF field to pick up the page number of
that bookmark.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can use the SectionPages field instead of NumPages to get the number

of
pages in a given section.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Hafeez Esmail" wrote in

message

"r3craven" wrote in message
Office 07: I can not find a way to add the 'total pages' number

into
Footer
- ie the "5" above... Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The following is one way to do it: Insert a SECTIONPAGES field in each of
the three sections (place the field in the body of the document, not in the
header/footer area). Bookmark the fields, format them as hidden (or white
text), so that they won't be visible. Where you want the total number of
pages, use this field:

{ = { REF bm1 \* CHARFORMAT } + { REF bm2 \* CHARFORMAT } + { REF bm3 \*
CHARFORMAT } }

where bm# should be replaced with the bookmark names that you chose.

To insert each pair of field delimiters, { }, press Ctrl+F9. To update the
display of the selected fields, press F9. To show/hide field codes, press
Alt+F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"r3craven" wrote in message
Office 07: I can not find a way to add the 'total pages' number
into
Footer
- ie the "5" above... Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Hmm, it seems as if the OP is using continuous numbering. Then, clearly,
your suggestion is better than the one I suggested (four minutes later)...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP