Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Grizzman Grizzman is offline

Default Find and Replace not working within template

I downloaded the Employee Manual Outline from MS template page. i am
trying to replace the field/text[Organization Name]which also has a gray
background with our company name. Unfortunately it wont work. After
searching the doc it comes back with zero found, zero replaced. i try
edit field, nothing i can see that will allow this. does this issue have
to do with the fact that it is a template? in any case how can i use
replace in a template?

Thank in advance for all the help

Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

If it has a grey background, it is probably a field. Use F9 to toggle the
fieldcode on and from the fieldcode you should be able to see a better way
of globally changing it. Alternatively, search for the field and replace it.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Grizzman" wrote in message
I downloaded the Employee Manual Outline from MS template page. i am trying
to replace the field/text[Organization Name]which also has a gray
background with our company name. Unfortunately it wont work. After
searching the doc it comes back with zero found, zero replaced. i try edit
field, nothing i can see that will allow this. does this issue have to do
with the fact that it is a template? in any case how can i use replace in a
template?

Thank in advance for all the help

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Grizzman Grizzman is offline

it didn't work, F9 didn't toggle anything, after right clicking on the
field it allowed me to toggle the fieldcode. however i did not see, or
do not know any better way to do this. i tried to search for the field
and it came back empty.

i ended up just copying and pasting what i needed over 33 pages.

maybe next time

thanks!

Grizzman

TF wrote:
If it has a grey background, it is probably a field. Use F9 to toggle the
fieldcode on and from the fieldcode you should be able to see a better way
of globally changing it. Alternatively, search for the field and replace it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Sorry about that: as Suzanne pointed out, it is Alt+F9 to toggle fieldcodes.
What would help if you let us see the fieldcodes. When you search for
fields, what doesn't work? Doesn't it find fields?

It would also be useful to know why you want to replace all the fields and
with what? There may be a much easier solution if we knew your goal.

Terry