Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lew Yedwab Lew Yedwab is offline

Default Updating cross-references in my text to numbered Figure Titles

I have used Cross-References to numbered Figure Titles in a Word 2007
document. Fortunately, the Figure Titles' numbers DO increment when I insert
a new illustration and associated numbered Figure Title.

HOWEVER, the cross-references I have placed in body of my text do not update
automatically. I do not think this is asking too much of a "powerful" program
like Microsoft Word.

My cross-references are configured very simply. Simply the word "Figure" and
then the formatted number from the Figure Title's ModifyStyle,
ModifyNumbering dialog.

Any help from an actual person would be appreciated greatly, despite snide
remark about the software itself above.
--
Lew Yedwab
Senior Technical Writer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lew Yedwab Lew Yedwab is offline

Have discovered how to "Update Field" by right clicking INDIVIDUAL instances
of "see Figure number so-and-so". That does work, but having to do it at
every instance of this cross-reference is obviously ridiculous.

So, any ideas on how to "Update All Fields" or something to that effect?

Thanks for any help!
--
Lew Yedwab
Senior Technical Writer

"Lew Yedwab" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To update the cross-references, you can switch to Print Preview and then
back to your current view.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lew Yedwab" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lew Yedwab Lew Yedwab is offline

Hi, Stefan:

That was, as they say, "the damnedest thing!"

I knew I didn't want to spew 38 pages of dead trees to accomplish that, so I
printed it to a PDF and it worked.

Is there a way to have those references update other than actually printing
the document?

Do not mistake me though; this reply comes with a great big THANKS!

--
Lew Yedwab
Senior Technical Writer

"Lew Yedwab" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Stefan didn't suggest that you print the document, just switch into Print
Preview view, which updates fields (assuming you have "Update fields"
checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options).

Another way to update all the fields in the document body is Ctrl+A, F9.

"Lew Yedwab" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lew Yedwab Lew Yedwab is offline

Wow; thank you all! This forum is a great thing.

Just observation, not complaint, because you've all been so helpful:

Oddly, I did note that Stefan suggested Print Preview, but it didn't do it.
Eh; either I misinterpreted something or something isn't working properly
here (and I know it's more likely the former).

In any case, I now have 2 solutions and a kluge that I stumbled on, so thank
you all again.
--
Lew Yedwab
Senior Technical Writer