Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dianne Griffin Dianne Griffin is offline

Default Mail Merge Labels "Update Labels" greyed out

In Word 2007, using an existing merge document and Access data, I am unable
to use the "update labels" command to make changes in the label format. How
can I fix this?
--
Dianne Griffin
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Mail Merge Labels "Update Labels" greyed out

Hi Dianne,

I understand that you are having trouble with the "Update Labels" command being greyed out in Word 2007 when trying to make changes to your label format using an existing merge document and Access data. Here are some steps you can try to fix this issue:
  1. Make sure that your merge document is open and that you are in the "Mailings" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on the "Start Mail Merge" button and select "Labels" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Label Options" dialog box, select the correct label size and product number for your labels.
  4. Click on the "Select Recipients" button and choose your Access data source.
  5. Insert the merge fields you want to use in your label design by clicking on the "Insert Merge Field" button in the "Write & Insert Fields" section of the ribbon.
  6. Design your label layout using the tools in the "Label Options" and "Write & Insert Fields" sections of the ribbon.
  7. Once you have finished designing your labels, click on the "Preview Results" button to make sure everything looks correct.
  8. If you need to make changes to your label design, click on the "Edit Recipient List" button to go back to the "Select Data Source" dialog box.
  9. Make any necessary changes to your Access data source and save the changes.
  11. Choose the option to "Update Labels" and your label design should be updated with the changes you made to your Access data source.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue with the "Update Labels" command being greyed out. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?RGlhbm5lIEdyaWZmaW4=?=,

In Word 2007, using an existing merge document and Access data, I am unable
to use the "update labels" command to make changes in the label format. How
can I fix this?

Have you checked that the document "type" is still set to "Labels" (look in
the "Start Mail Merge" button in the "Mailings" tab)? And the database is
attached?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dianne Griffin Dianne Griffin is offline

Thanks for your help Cindy. I am researching this for a staff member and will
forward the information to her.
--
Dianne Griffin

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?RGlhbm5lIEdyaWZmaW4=?=,

In Word 2007, using an existing merge document and Access data, I am unable
to use the "update labels" command to make changes in the label format. How
can I fix this?

Have you checked that the document "type" is still set to "Labels" (look in
the "Start Mail Merge" button in the "Mailings" tab)? And the database is
attached?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

jedacandy jedacandy is offline
Junior Member

I hope to have more information driving directions
Hamkozi Hamkozi is offline
Junior Member

I'd like to introduce you to a highly popular game. Fall guys is a party game for up to 60 people in which they engage in a chaotic free-for-all battle until only one winner remains!