Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kearl Kearl is offline

Default Are there symbols for medical terminology?

I need to type "Left" in medical terminology - an "L" in a circle. Can this
be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Yes.

In Word, type 24C1 (, select it,) and press ALT+X. If you need a lower case
l, use 24DB.

For a list of symbols in the enclosed alphanumerics unicode block, see
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...ics/images.htm

Yves

"Kearl" wrote in message
I need to type "Left" in medical terminology - an "L" in a circle. Can
this
be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You don't need to select it. If you put your cursor after any sequence
of 4 or 5 digits that could be a Unicode code, Alt-X will replace it
with the corresponding character.

On Apr 22, 9:49*am, "Yves Dhondt" wrote:
Yes.

In Word, type 24C1 (, select it,) and press ALT+X. If you need a lower case
l, use 24DB.

For a list of symbols in the enclosed alphanumerics unicode block, seehttp://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/enclosed_alphanumerics/...

Yves

"Kearl" wrote in message

I need to type "Left" in medical terminology - an "L" in a circle. *Can
this
be done?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Not selecting only works if the character in front of the code can not be
seen as part of the code. Any hexadecimal symbol (0-9,A-F) will be
incorporated in the code.

Yves

"Kearl" wrote in message

I need to type "Left" in medical terminology - an "L" in a circle. Can
this
be done?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It looks back exactly four digits (or, if the four digits are preceded
by a 1 or a 2, five digits). If it can't interpret those four (or
five) digits as a code and return the character, it reports the code
number for the character immediately before the cursor. A Unicode code
can't be less than four digits.

"Kearl" wrote in message

I need to type "Left" in medical terminology - an "L" in a circle. Can
this
be done?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Please try things out if you are not sure on how they work...

Type 524C1 followed by ALT+X and see what happens. According to your
statement, only 24C1 should be processed as a 5 is clearly not a 1 or 2.

Type 000050 followed by ALT+X and see what happens. According to your
statement, only 4 or 5 digits should be processed though Word replaces all 6
digits with a 'P'.

Type 456 followed by ALT+X and see what happens. According to your
statement, it shouldn't be doing anything as 3 digits is less than 4. I do
get an '?' as Word automatically adds a leading zero.

Type 50 followed by ALT+X and see what happens. According to your statement,
it shouldn't be doing anything as 2 digits is less than 4. I do get a 'P' as
Word automatically adds two leading zeros.

"Kearl" wrote in message

I need to type "Left" in medical terminology - an "L" in a circle. Can
this
be done?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I did try them before posting. Are you referring to strings at the
beginning of a file (or perhaps the beginning of a paragraph)? With
regard to OP's query, the code does not need to be selected.

On Apr 22, 1:02*pm, "Yves Dhondt" wrote:
Please try things out if you are not sure on how they work...

Type 524C1 followed by ALT+X and see what happens. According to your
statement, only 24C1 should be processed as a 5 is clearly not a 1 or 2.

It turned into MSMincho, so all bets are off. Has Word made provision
for nonexistent Unicode codes?

Type 000050 followed by ALT+X and see what happens. According to your
statement, only 4 or 5 digits should be processed though Word replaces all 6
digits with a 'P'.

Then that's a bug in Word.

Type 456 followed by ALT+X and see what happens. According to your
statement, it shouldn't be doing anything as 3 digits is less than 4. I do
get an '?' as Word automatically adds a leading zero.

I got a Belarusian i. Insert Symbol reports that its Keyboard Shortcut
is 0456 Alt-X.

Type 50 followed by ALT+X and see what happens. According to your statement,
it shouldn't be doing anything as 2 digits is less than 4. I do get a 'P' as
Word automatically adds two leading zeros.

A bug maybe left over from typing ASCII codes.

Yves

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...

"Kearl" wrote in message

I need to type "Left" in medical terminology - an "L" in a circle. Can
this
be done?---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

How would you know? Maybe the OP intended to type 5symbol in which case he
would have to select it.

It doesn't really matter if it is the start of a document or not. If you
type "abc 000050" followed by ALT+X you will get "abc P" (6 digits
converted). If you type "abc 50" followed by ALT+X you will also get "abc P"
and if you type "abc00050" followed by ALT+X, you will get "abc00050030".
That is, the last 0 is transformed to its unicode value: 0030.

It's like I indicated in my orginal reply by using brackets: it might work
without selecting anything, but if it doesn't, just select the part you want
converted and it will always work.